plesk 9 to plesk 10 migration problems

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

plesk 9 to plesk 10 migration problems

Unread post by nobody »

Hi guys. So I am once again freaking out with parallels.

1. I have a backupfile from plesk 9. If I upload it I get that it is a wrong backup file. Thats lets say normal since as parallels says the plesk 9 and plesk 10 dump is different.
***Allthough they should have found a way to automatically convert these backups. It is not our jobs to convert their backups.

Anyway. I have read that there are some tools to do such a thing but I am a bit lost since their kb are terrible and I only found that there is a way to convert older plesk backups (v7.x & v8.x) to plesk 9. I haven't found a way to convert plesk 9 backups to plesk 10.

2. The other really crazy thing is that they do not have the ability to migrate a user or resseller from another plesk server. When I want to migrate a customer from another web hosting company it is only normal that I do not have root access to the other system ! ! !

All the above can be done more than easily and for years in cpanel servers. But in plesk for some reasons administrators are punished every time they upgrade their servers...

Has anyone got an idea what to do ? I am really lost and hours of googling hasn't really helped...
Hello IT.
Phone : Blah Blah ....
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: plesk 9 to plesk 10 migration problems

Unread post by faris »

Go here to start with: https://www.parallels.com/support/plesk ... ssistance/ and create a ticket.

Now go here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5969

and here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9578

I'm sorry if you've been there, done that. But just in case. You are not alone. I will be thinking of you and hoping these help you and by the time I get to work tomorrow all will be well.

As for importing a client from one server to another -- does the site backup facility not help here? I've not tried it myself. But it is an interesting feature that you suggest. I'd not be terribly happy to enable it on our servers though, unless they found a way to make it really secure. It would probably be OK if you had to be the target plesk's admin, but didn't have to be the source plesk's admin. But I can see all sorts of potential gotchas even so. But as you say, if cpanel has the feature, I'm sure the folks at Parallels will be able to find a secure way of doing it too. Time to suggest this as a feature!
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
tkalfaoglu2
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by tkalfaoglu2 »

I started that migration out, a week ago, using PleskX.pl route..
It migrated about half the customers, and ignored the others.
So I ended up doing a pleskbackup for EACH missing customer and doing a pleskrestore at the new server for them.
90% of them worked.

Some gave me issues like it would restore 1 domain, but not the other 10 the customer had.
Solution? Delete the 1 domain and re-restore it. then it restores them all :)

The thing is incredibly buggy for an expensive piece of software. I had to change the permissions of &%&/% /bin/xxx (edited to prevent hackers) to get it to do some stuff, I had to work around its bugs , had to write numerous pieces of code, SQL trains to update things. Yet, Parallels is blissfully unaware because I do not have a service plan, no way I'll pay to report their bugs..

If I succeed in hosting, it would be despite Plesk, not because of it.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

tkalfaoglu2 wrote:I started that migration out, a week ago, using PleskX.pl route..
It migrated about half the customers, and ignored the others.
So I ended up doing a pleskbackup for EACH missing customer and doing a pleskrestore at the new server for them.
90% of them worked.

Some gave me issues like it would restore 1 domain, but not the other 10 the customer had.
Solution? Delete the 1 domain and re-restore it. then it restores them all :)

The thing is incredibly buggy for an expensive piece of software. I had to change the permissions of &%&/% /bin/xxx (edited to prevent hackers) to get it to do some stuff, I had to work around its bugs , had to write numerous pieces of code, SQL trains to update things. Yet, Parallels is blissfully unaware because I do not have a service plan, no way I'll pay to report their bugs..

If I succeed in hosting, it would be despite Plesk, not because of it.

I hope after your sleepless nights you will now sleep.
I can understand you fully since I've been dealing with their crap for years as well.
And unfortunatelly I am dealing with the cpanel crap as well ...
I have to deal with 2 peace of craps simioultaneously.

But parallels is even worse as you quote than cpanel, because if you want to report their bug you need to pay !
This is legendary ... Really ! It needs guts implement not just think of such a terrible act.
At least I don't feel that I am the only one who continiously has a problem with their mess and experiences sleepless nights ...
Hello IT.
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
IgorG
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor

Unread post by IgorG »

Plesk 10 converts backup from Pelsk 9.x version on the fly without any additional pre-convertation.
If you have any problems with it you always can report it here http://www.parallels.com/support/plesk/bugreport/
paulie
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by paulie »

Its probably a bit late but you can also untar a Plesk 9 backup and get at all the goodness inside (certainly all the raw site data and I presume xml files that contain the Plesk configuration). This should be a painful but effective method...

I assume there are political rather than policy (which I assumed you'd control) reasons that prevent you getting root access to the source server?