PHP 5.2.12 and mycrypt

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PHP 5.2.12 and mycrypt

Unread post by KrazyBob »

I have a client running Plesk 9.3 but still has the default PHP 5.2.12 and no mycrypt. He has an application that require 5.2 and mcrypt. YUM doesn't show me mcrypt for 5.2.

Code: Select all

mcrypt.x86_64                                             2.6.8-1.el5                                      epel  
php-mcrypt.i386                                           5.3.15-7.el5.art                                 atomic
php-mcrypt.x86_64                                         5.3.15-7.el5.art                                 atomic
php53-mcrypt.x86_64                                       5.3.3-1.el5                                      epel
Suggestions? I just need to install mcrypt...

I hate being the rookie.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: PHP 5.2.12 and mycrypt

Unread post by breun »

AFAIK PHP 5.2 was never the default on EL5. PHP 5.2 has reached end of life and is no longer supported. You might be able to find some SRPM to rebuild or build from source, but I don't think any repository will still be distributing these packages.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

When Plesk 9.3 was loaded it installed PHP 5.2.12. I loaded it. I watched it happen. Sp now where back full circle to the question of adding mcrypt. The client does not want PHP 5.3. This thread discussed it: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=88711.

mycrypt is available for PHP 5.2.17 but none of the repo's seem to have it anymore. I assume then that an upgrade to 5.3.x is required?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

KrazyBob wrote:When Plesk 9.3 was loaded it installed PHP 5.2.12. I loaded it. I watched it happen.
I wonder who built those packages. (You can check using rpm -qi php.) AFAIK EL5 only distributes PHP 5.1 and 5.3. Maybe you had the Atomic repository enabled before installing Plesk and got them from there. Plesk doesn't distribute PHP with Plesk 9, it just installs whatever version it finds in the configured repositories.
KrazyBob wrote:mycrypt is available for PHP 5.2.17 but none of the repo's seem to have it anymore. I assume then that an upgrade to 5.3.x is required?
If you want to run a supported version of PHP, either downgrade to EL5's PHP 5.1 packages or upgrade to EL5's or Atomic's PHP 5.3 packages. I might be able to find some PHP 5.2.17 RPM's in my backups, but I don't recommend sticking with PHP 5.2, since neither EL5 nor Atomic is fixing vulnerabilities and other problems in PHP 5.2 anymore.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Clients are picky that way. They get their ind set on a particular software application with specific requirements and then don't think about the affect of upgrading PHP on other applications. Upgrading to 5.3 will likely break scripts. Downgrading to 5.1 will piss off the customer. I can't win on this one. Thar's why I was hoping that php-mycrypt for PHP 5.2.12 was still on someones repo.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

As the admin I recommend telling your customers specific software versions are supported for a limited time. They'll have to make sure their software is compatible with supported versions of its requirements or it's impossible to make sure they're running in a stable and secure environment.

I recommend setting up a test environment with PHP 5.3 and seeing if there are any problems. If there are, they can be fixed. And then upgrade PHP.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I do and the reseller does his best. Customers are customers and think we can make things magically appear.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

My advice, offer the free solution (5.3) and the custom solution (5.2.12) for a fee.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The reseller has accepted 5.3. I'll do a backup of Plesk and hope that a simple yum upgrade php* will do the trick. Let me see if I can find the information here on doing the upgrade. I don't want to screw it up.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I cannot seem to locate the WIKI article that covered the PHP and MySQL upgrade in one article. There was something specific that needed to be done for Plesk and MySL. Can you help me locate the Wiki article?
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/Mysql is the crucial MySQL stuff (comment out the bdb line)

http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP relates to PHP.

I think these are the ones you mean?

You will have problems with ioncube and zend as before.

You will need to remember to remove any zend or ioncube stuff from php.ini (there won't be any if you use the fresh php ini as mentioned in the php article then yum install the ioncibe and zend guard loaders.

There may be other things you need to do too....

I just put my.cnf and then php in the search box on the wiki. It is very hard to navigate - searching is the only way I've been able to find things I need on it :-(
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Crap! The end-user insists on using ionCUBE. Well, he'll have to use Send.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

PHP ionCube Loader works fine with PHP 5.3. The latest version is even compatible with PHP 5.4.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

As we have discussed in another thread PHP and ionCUBE kicks off errors. Maybe you have the solution! It's actually sqlite.

Code: Select all

[root@abbey ~]# php -v
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/sqlite3.so' - /usr/lib64/php/modules/sqlite3.so: undefined symbol: sqlite3_stmt_readonly in Unknown on line 0
PHP 5.3.14 (cli) (built: Jun 14 2012 16:34:56) 
Copyright (c) 1997-2012 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2012 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.10, Copyright (c) 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd., and
    with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

In that other thread there was a solution to the sqlite problem, I think?

sqlite needed to be updated. Not php-sqlite. I think? Can you find that thread? Someone posted an update.

(I'm having Virtuozzo horrors again, btw. Stress up to the eyeballs!!)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>