Plesk 10.4.4 MU 41 - Unable to parse e-mail address

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Plesk 10.4.4 MU 41 - Unable to parse e-mail address

Unread post by chrismcb »

Since my upgrade to MU 41, I've been getting errors in the mail log as follows:

Code: Select all

Aug 24 14:38:49 devonto /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Internal error. Unable to parse e-mail address.
Aug 24 14:38:49 server123 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Unable to get sender-domain handlers from the database
Aug 24 14:38:49 server123 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Internal error. Unable to parse e-mail address.
Aug 24 14:38:49 server123 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Unable to get sender-domain handlers from the database
Aug 24 14:38:49 server123 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Internal error. Unable to parse e-mail address.
There isn't anything else logged letting me know the address that failed to be parsed.

I believe Parallels know about this (if it is the same problem) and it relates to apostrophe's in email addresses, however no reply on the forums from a Parallels rep or update to their KB since the 7th of the month.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114511
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=262329

Has anyone else come across this and can anyone advise a way to get more information to help me figure out what's happening?

I don't know if mail is being rejected, bounced or lost completely.

Thanks
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Plesk 10.4.4 MU 41 - Unable to parse e-mail address

Unread post by faris »

IF it is the apostrophe problem then the email is being delivered fine.

They seem to feel this is a cosmetic issue, and if it is then that's fine. But I worry that... well, I won't even say it outloud as that might be inviting trouble.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

OK, just had confirmation from a client that incoming mail hasn't been delivered to them since the update for something known to have an apostrophe in the from field (not the email address).

This one is fixable, as the mail is actually generated by the server, so I can just remove that.

For mail originating outwith my control, seems like it is being dropped completely!
fearz
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by fearz »

Is there any solution for this? is it even confirmed that the apostrophe is the cause?
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Still nothing from Parallels.

I have tested on my system and putting an apostrophe in the name portion of the from field causes the error to be triggered and fail to be delivered.

As Plesk doesn't allow an apostrophe in the email address itself, I've not been able to create a mailbox to test that out.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I don't get it. it worked for me. I tested it quite thoroughly very very recently when I first saw the error crop up. No more than 6 weeks ago.

Sorry to have accidentally mislead you.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Faris, are you on Postfix or Qmail?

I am on Postfix and wonder if it is specific to that?

Also, I've had alerts in the past of this format, which also complains about an apostrophe in the email:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[13712]: Unable to prepare SQL statement for query 'SELECT executable, context, name FROM handlers WHERE queue=0 AND type='0' AND enabled=1 AND address='user.O'surname@address.co.uk' ORDER BY priority DESC': near "surname": syntax error
I know these ones are not blocking any mail.

p.s. My testing was from a PHP script on the server, sending to a mail account also on the server
I've just ran a few tests using Outlook - both outgoing and incoming passed... I just wish the logging was a bit more verbose!
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

That could certainly be exploitable.
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

My thoughts too... but nothing from Parallels on it!

Don't know if their #41 update was meant to fix this - and broke it further?!

I'm scheduling some upgrade time at the weekend to move to 11.0.9, hopefully it will fix more than it breaks... won't be holding my breath though.