Backup /restore from control panel

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
mist_firefly
Forum User
Forum User

Backup /restore from control panel

Unread post by mist_firefly »

Hi,

One of our clients has some issues with it's website and wants to restore to a previous version. He has a backup done on plesk and was wondering what do the restore options do?

He doesn't want to modify the current database just the files in the wordpress part of the domain (he doesn't want to loose the new posts/articles)..is there an option for that?

Also it is a very large domain and the server seems to overload when they are doing backups.
How can we recover if that happens when the restore of the website is being made? We don't want the server to crash because of it.

We will monitor top but if it goes high what would be our options?

Thanks
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Backup /restore from control panel

Unread post by prupert »

For backups for situations like these I recommend to do file-level backups as opposed to using Plesk's (unreliable) backup feature.

You should be able to manually extract the httpdocs files from a Plesk backup file. Since I don't work with Plesk backup files I wouldn't know for sure what your best option is, but Plesk has a KB article about it at http://kb.parallels.com/en/1757.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Backup /restore from control panel

Unread post by breun »

mist_firefly wrote:He doesn't want to modify the current database just the files in the wordpress part of the domain (he doesn't want to loose the new posts/articles)..is there an option for that?
I don't know, but you could export the current database and import it again after the restore.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management