PSA dumps - can they be deleted?

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PSA dumps - can they be deleted?

Unread post by coolemail »

I have 40GB in /var/lib/psa/dumps (of which 29.7GB is one large domain so the rest is not too bad).
Any idea what created those dumps?

The size of files in /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients/hosted-domain looks like it is the "Other" on the stats
Usage stats
Usage stats
usage-stats.png (13.49 KiB) Viewed 18136 times
So can the client do anything to get rid of these if they are not required?

If the client cannot do anything, can we safely delete these dumps which are hogging their usage?

Many thanks, as ever, in advance.
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: PSA dumps - can they be deleted?

Unread post by prupert »

They can be safely deleted AFAIK.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thank you prupert,

The older viersions of Plesk had a better version of the usage. You could for example drill down and see which email accounts were using all the space and where else the disc allocation was being used. Plesk 10 is not nearly as good. Even clicking on "Mail" tab, you are then unable to sort by mailbox usage.

Code: Select all

ncdu /var/qmail/mailnames/domain
seems the only way and clearly clients cannot do that (I love ncdu). Have others had the same thoughts about usage on Plesk 10? Perhaps Plesk 11 will be better when we upgrade.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

These are database, website (and possibly site-builder) backups created through the Backup option for the domain itself.

I would say it was better to delete them via the domain's control panel.

(Websites & Domains tab -> Backup Manager)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

coolemail wrote:Thank you prupert,

The older viersions of Plesk had a better version of the usage. You could for example drill down and see which email accounts were using all the space and where else the disc allocation was being used. Plesk 10 is not nearly as good. Even clicking on "Mail" tab, you are then unable to sort by mailbox usage.

Code: Select all

ncdu /var/qmail/mailnames/domain
seems the only way and clearly clients cannot do that (I love ncdu). Have others had the same thoughts about usage on Plesk 10? Perhaps Plesk 11 will be better when we upgrade.
In Plesk 11 you can see the individual disk usage per mail account, but no more improvements in regards to disk usage statistics compared to Plesk 10. In Plesk 11.5 (currently in beta, will be released VERY soon, but I'll recommend waiting out a bit) there will be better (more detailed) statistics about disk usage.
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thank you faris. That makes sense as to how they were created. And I can then get the offending very large one to delete theirs!
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Yeah. 29Gb! Sheesh! I bet that includes 28Gb of junk/old mail :-)

What we've done is disable local repository backups, and only allow remote (I think?).
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

Plesk backup permissions can be set on a service plan / subscription level basis.