Migration preparation - name servers for all domains

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Migration preparation - name servers for all domains

Unread post by coolemail »

We are preparing a migration of servers. A while ago, we were told of a way that we could download into Excel. I cannot find out how to do it now. It ended up giving us in lots of worksheets, all the various records.

We need it so that we can see what name servers the domains have for a migration. The vast majority all have the same but I know that there are some rogue ones in there somewhere.

Is there a database which contains all this info which we can export?

If any of the Gurus know how I can most easily do that, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks, in advance, as ever.
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Migration preparation - name servers for all domains

Unread post by prupert »

Are you migrating the nameserver itself? From which to which software?

Are you using a control panel?
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by coolemail »

We are moving to a new server altogether. All domains use the same name servers:
ns0.hosted-domain.com
ns1.hosted-domain.com
ns2.hosted-domain.com
ns3.hosted-domain.com

ns2, ns2, ns3 are all external for DNS backup and MAX backup.

hosted-domain.com is on the same server and that domain is also transferring, yes.

Moving to Plesk 11.5.30 from 10.4.4. Yes, we intend to use the Control Panel to do the migration.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I know you posted this before I emailed you the text file with all the DNS details in it.

But in case anybody is interested:

Yes, you can do a database search for this that and the other, but since the only script I have to do so is commercial and so no sharable, you can always use the old-school way: grep

#grep -ri 'search-string' /path-to-where-to-start

For example for Plesk under Centos 6:

grep -ri 'ns1.hosted-domain.com' /var/named/chroot/var/

WARNING: Due to a bug in RH/Centos, you are likely to get a "recursive directory loop" error after the useful data has been output. CTRL-C at this point.

(you can also use -E PATTERN to use regexes, apparently)
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

The Plesk Migration Manager should handle the DNS zone migration just fine. No need to manually migrate the DNS records.

However, should you need to do a manual migration, or if you just want to have the files on record: you can export the BIND zone files which are located in /var/named/chroot/var, or you can use the Plesk MySQL database: tables psa.dns_zone and psa.dns_recs.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

It is a complex issue - there is only one glue record at the registrar and one A record in the Plesk server DNS for one nameservers. The other namservers redirect via CNAMES (in Plesk server DNS) to a third party secondary DNS service.

What we were looking for were domains in Plesk that had been configured with the secondary DNS service's nameservers directly. Although this was better for resolution (no CNAMES, no mess), it had potential to cause problems if we needed to take the secondary DNS service out of the equation.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>