Installing WordPress onto a new domain

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
David23
Forum User
Forum User

Installing WordPress onto a new domain

Unread post by David23 »

Hello there,

We are migrating a clients website onto our server. I have setup the domain on Plesk 11.5. I then go to install WordPress and give it a username and password. So I installed WordPress at mydomain.org/wordpress. Yet when I try going mydomain.org/wordpress/wp-login.php I cannot login to the WordPress admin interface. Instead I see website that is still being hosted by another hosting company. I preview the website on Plesk and just see the Parallels builder which is correct. But then I try going to admin interface but get the live page and not the admin login. Is this because the domain is still pointed to old domain hosting company? I wanted to change the nameservers after I have copied the site, setup emails etc. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Many thanks,
David
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Installing WordPress onto a new domain

Unread post by biggles »

What you are describing certainly points in the direction of the name servers still pointing to the old provider. Do a check with nslookup och dig.
David23
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by David23 »

Thanks Biggles. So is there anyway I can setup the WordPress domain on Plesk and start uploading the content before I change the nameservers as I want to make the process as seamless as possible for the client?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Yeah I think you can do that through the domain preview button
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

If that doesn't work you can trick your computer into thinking that DNS is already changed by altering the HOSTS file. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
David23
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by David23 »

Yes i think I will have to alter DNS as the preview function isn't great. Thank you guys for all the advice. Much appreciated.