Name Server DNS setting assistance please

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
coolemail
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Name Server DNS setting assistance please

Unread post by coolemail »

For the domains we host, at registrar they are all set as:

Code: Select all

ns0.hostname.co.uk
ns1.hostname.co.uk
ns2.hostname.co.uk
ns3.hostname.co.uk
We have 3rd party secondary name servers that are:

ns1.thirdparty.com
ns2.thirdparty.com
ns3.thirdparty.com
I wish to keep as white labelled as poss which is why I want all domains to show nsx.hostname.co.uk. It also means that when we make any changes to name servers, we only need to make the change on Plesk on the hostname.co.uk domain.

On our old Plesk 10 box, we overcame this on the hostname.co.uk domain on our server with the following:

hostname.co.uk   NS   ns1.hostname.co.uk
ns1.hostname.co.uk   CNAME  ns1.thirdparty.com
but on Plesk 11 it will not allow us to do that. "Error: Incorrect combination of DNS records is present in the DNS zone"

Please could one of the DNS gurus let me know how I can achieve that without going the registrar of every domain and having to manually change the name servers to be
ns0.hostname.co.uk
ns1.thirdparty.com
ns2.thirdparty.com
ns3.thirdparty.com
which would be time-consuming and would lose the white label benefit.

Can I simply do the following, and if so are there any potential pitfalls?:

hostname.co.uk   NS   ns1.hostname.co.uk
ns1.hostname.co.uk   A    193.xxx.xxx.xxx **IP ADDRESS OF NS1.THIRDPARTY.COM**
etc.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Name Server DNS setting assistance please

Unread post by faris »

ns1.hostname.co.uk A 193.xxx.xxx.xxx **IP ADDRESS OF NS1.THIRDPARTY.COM**
Yes, as long as the IP doesn't change. And that's the only real disadvantage.

What finally filtered through my head only yesterday, is that that nameservers are not "magic". As long as you have a glue record (where required), it doesn't matter what they are.

And in this case a glue record is required. Thus, as well as the A record in hostname.co.uk's DNS records in Plesk, you must also add the glue record for ns1.hostname.co.uk pointing to the same IP via the registrar's control panel.

I seem to recall there was a bug in their control panel that did not let you properly adjust more than 3 or 4 nameserver glue records? It would be better to get that looked into before you continue.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>