Plesk Update best way

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
SuperBest
New Forum User
New Forum User

Plesk Update best way

Unread post by SuperBest »

If I am using Atomic Repo, with installed many packages (i don't think - plesk relevant), yum update is done frequently.
ASL 3.2, Plesk 10.4, Centos 5.2
And I would like to update plesk to new version 11.

What would be a suggestion from you ?
What would be a order:
ASL Uninstall ?
Remember all nonstandard changes made in system/config files as example "smtp 587 port"
Update plesk
Install ASL

Perheaps better way would be to set new server, Migrate and set on new plesk all that is needed, best way dont you think ?
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk Update best way

Unread post by prupert »

If your server is properly administered you can simply do an in-place upgrade using the autoinstaller. Definitely no need to migrate to a new box or uninstall ASL.

Enabling the tcp/587 Submission port is managed through the Plesk GUI and will remain intact after an upgrade.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
SuperBest
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by SuperBest »

prupert wrote:If your server is properly administered you can simply do an in-place upgrade using the autoinstaller. Definitely no need to migrate to a new box or uninstall ASL.

Enabling the tcp/587 Submission port is managed through the Plesk GUI and will remain intact after an upgrade.
What do you mean properly administered ?
You mean 587 in firewall or in mail server settings, plesk 10.4 does not have that option.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Plesk 10 does have submission support. Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings > (under General options at the top of the page) Enable message submission (tick).

What prupert means by properly administered is basically keeping it up to date, making sure databases are consistent, basically making sure it isn't left to rot or go stale, and not making any crazy changes.

Plesk's in-place upgrades (and Migrations) are now an order of magnitude more reliable than they used to be.

I still prefer Migration over an in-place upgrade because you can do a test run - several test runs - before doing it for real in order to find and resolve any problems before you do the real thing. But it is SO much easier and convenient to do an in-place upgrade, and as long as you have a good backup before you begin (in case of emergency) there's not that much risk.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>