Send only mailbox in Plesk

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Send only mailbox in Plesk

Unread post by biggles »

Before Plesk 11 it was possible to have a mail account just for sending emails, you didn't have to enable the mailbox function. From Plesk 11 this is necessary or you cannot connect to the account. Anyone know a way around it?
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Send only mailbox in Plesk

Unread post by prupert »

Why do you want this? If you don't want to receive replies (which I'm not sure why, but heck, you might have your reason) you might just as well forge the From header in your client.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

Just thinking safety. I primarily use it for machines sending email (scanners, routers, services etc) and it's nice to have a way for them to send email. If a mailbox is connected to the mail account it will be filled eventually.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

I do the exact same thing here
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

Scott: you mean you forge the address?
scott

Unread post by scott »

No I mean we use it like you do. We have accounts for specific services, like zabbix for example. It has its own sending account for alerts. I use it on my own accounts too, where I'll use different SMTP servers for differnt email addresses I use, and the mailboxes on those accounts are configured to forward.
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

ok, so you might get it to work by using a forward. Good idea!
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I'm not really sure I completely understand your problem biggles.

There's no need to have a mailbox capable of receiving anything in order to authenticate and send email.

The most basic answer to your question would be to set up a mailbox in the normal way but with a 1kb quota (or 0kb it Plesk will allow it). This will prevent an unmonitored mailbox from filling up.

Another solution would be use an existing (or specially-created) mailbox address for the authentication. The authentication credentials do not have to match the "From" address you want to send from. e.g. I use one account to authenticate outgoing smtp for all my incoming pop3 accounts.

Another solution, if practical, is to add the IP of the sender to the whitelist in Plesk's mail configuration page. This allows any email to be relayed without authentication as long as it comes from that IP. (this is why 127.0.0 is whitelisted - if you remove that then local services would have to authenticate before being able to send).

[And if I understand correctly, Scott is suggesting that you configure a mailbox as normal but configure it to forward rather than collect email. I didn't get the point of that at first. But I suppose that if you forward to a blackhole address you will not get any mail gathering dust, or I suppose you could forward to another monitored address.]

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>