Plesk Migration Advice

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Plesk Migration Advice

Unread post by chrismcb »

Hi all,

I'm moving two servers to new platforms with the same OS and Plesk versions (6.5 and 11.5 respectively).

I've performed a test migration which has taken almost 6 hours to complete and am looking to reduce this time.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to do this?

My plan was to disable the httpd and qmail services while this transfer took place, but this is just too long to be down for.

Alternatively, I could perform a full migration earlier than expected, disable FTP to ensure no files are changed and then manually migrate only the database and mail directories while the services are down.

Anyone have any experience in keeping the downtime as close to zero as possible whilst ensuring all data is retained?
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk Migration Advice

OK, I've been looking further into it and thought I'd keep this thread updated for posterity.

Dumping the mysql databases (excluding the Plesk and mySQL specific ones), zipping it, transferring, unzipping and importing works perfectly and can be done in just a few minutes.

Old server

Code: Select all

# mysqldump --user=admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --host=localhost --databases [DATABASE NAMES IN HERE, SEPARATED WITH A SPACE] > /tmp/migration.sql
# cd /tmp
# zip migration.zip migration.sql
...transfer how you wish...

New server

# unzip /tmp/migration.zip
# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` < /tmp/migration.sql
The method I was planning to use for migrating the mail used Plesk's Backup Manager and the following code:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup server --only-mail --output-file=/tmp/mail.dump -v
This works fine and completes OK.
I then copy that to the new server and try:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore /tmp/mail.dump -level server
Which fails with:

Unable to resolve all conflicts
Plesk's forums then suggest going into the Backup Manager page in the panel to continue.
It shows the backup listed in there and allows you to restore it, however it then asks to map IP addresses, as the migration manager does.
The problem is, there are no IPs left to map, since the initial migration has used them - it will not simply use the current data.

Has anyone had any experience in this?

Alternatively, would a zip->transfer->unzip of /var/qmail/mailnames be sufficient?
chrismcb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk Migration Advice

Further research has led me to an article which talks about moving the mail dirs specifically:

http://major.io/2007/01/27/moving-mail- ... k-servers/

From this, I have adapted it slightly to backup all users mailboxes:

tar -pczf mail.tar.gz /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/cur /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/new /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/tmp
It can then be copied to the new server and:

tar -pxzf mail.tar.gz
yes | cp -rf /tmp/var/qmail/mailnames/* /var/qmail/mailnames
chown popuser:popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/cur --from=root:root
chown popuser:popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/new --from=root:root
chown popuser:popuser /var/qmail/mailnames/*/*/Maildir/tmp --from=root:root
The archive contains absolute file reference and, despite using the -p flag, permissions are not kept

Questions
  • Is this process acceptable? Is there anything I'm missing here?
  • There are other files within the maildir directories, are they specifically required?
    • @attachments (dir - empty)
    • courierimapkeywords (dir - empty)
    • courierimapuiddb
    • courierimapsubscribed
    • courierpop3dsizelist
    • maildirsize
Bear in mind that a full migration would have occurred a few hours earlier, this is just to catch the stragglers, so the above files will already be there, but may not be 100% up to date, depending on traffic.

Thanks