Plesk 10 to Plesk 12

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Plesk 10 to Plesk 12

Unread post by faris »

I'm about to upgrade a few Plesk 10.4.4 installations to 12.x

I usually do so via Migrations, but on this occasion I'm thinking of doing in-place upgrades.

All the systems have ASL installed.

Can anybody who has already done this give me any hints as to the kind of problems I'm likely to encounter and how to deal with them?
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk 10 to Plesk 12

Unread post by prupert »

Never had any major issues with in-place upgrades, here's some tips (assuming you run CentOS 6):

First: read the badly written docs for pre-upgrade requirements! ;-)
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP ... ion-guide/

You may want to run the pre-upgrade checker for an upgrade to Plesk 11.5 (yeah, it's fine for 12.0 upgrades):

Code: Select all

wget http://kb.parallels.com/Attachments/kcs-441/plesk115_preupgrade_checker.zip
unzip plesk115_preupgrade_checker.zip
rm -f plesk115_preupgrade_checker.zip
php -d safe_mode=Off -d disable_functions="" plesk115_preupgrade_checker.php `cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
Everything OK? Download and run the latest autoinstaller:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.my.cnf ~/.my.cnf.backup
wget http://autoinstall.plesk.com/plesk-installer
chmod +x plesk-installer
./plesk-installer --console
After having upgraded, don't forget to (in this order):
- Restore any custom limits you have set to the POP/IMAP mail server.
- Qmail? Restore any custom xinetd limits.
- SSL? Configure your own SSL certificate for POP, IMAP, SMTP and FTP.
- Horde? -> remove temp files with "rm -rf /tmp/.horde"
- Re-apply POODLE mitigation, see http://kb.sp.parallels.com/en/123160
- ASL firewall? Remove references to port 8880 in Plesk default vhost and skeleton files
- No IPv6? Configure local named with -4 option.
- Check if there are mail boxes with capital letters: mysql -uadmin -p$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) psa -e "select mail_name from psa.mail where mail_name regexp binary '[A-Z]';" and change them to lowercase.
- Perhaps you also want to disable the automatic redirect of domain aliases (which can seriously mess up together with other domain rewrites): mysql -uadmin -p$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) -D psa -Nse "select name from domain_aliases;" | xargs -i plesk bin domalias -u {} -seo-redirect false (tip: temporarily set your apache restart interval time to a high value in Plesk before doing this on a server with a lot of domains)
- Regenerate the mailserver configuration via "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk"
- Regenerate the webserver configuration via "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all"
- If you are using qmail-scanner, run "yum reinstall -y qmail-scanner"
- If you are using ASL, run "yum reinstall -y psa-proftpd" and "asl -s -f"
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

That's exactly what I wanted to know. THANK YOU!

I'm a little confused over some things if you could help me out please?

> Check if there are mail boxes with capital letters
Is there something different in Plesk 12 that causes problems with capitals in mailbox names? In 10.4.4, the email client has to use the same capitals if they have created a mailbox with capitals. I assume something has changed in 12?

> Perhaps you also want to disable the automatic redirect of domain aliases (which can seriously mess up together with other domain rewrites)
Can you give more details please? I don't understand this at all :-)

> Regenerate the mailserver configuration via "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk"
Not: --with-spam ?
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

faris wrote:That's exactly what I wanted to know. THANK YOU!

I'm a little confused over some things if you could help me out please?

> Check if there are mail boxes with capital letters
Is there something different in Plesk 12 that causes problems with capitals in mailbox names? In 10.4.4, the email client has to use the same capitals if they have created a mailbox with capitals. I assume something has changed in 12?
I have seen weird issues due to Plesk not always being consistent in how to deal with being case (in)sensitive in different parts of their software. Just lowercase it all to be sure. For end-users it doesn't matter, since e-mail addresses are case insensitive. You should also learn your end-users not to apply mixed casing where it doesn't make sense.
> Perhaps you also want to disable the automatic redirect of domain aliases (which can seriously mess up together with other domain rewrites)
Can you give more details please? I don't understand this at all :-)
Plesk redirects domain aliases to the main domain by default using ModRewrite. This is definitely something that you will want to turn off to prevent issues such as endless loops in case you are using ModRewrite rules yourself.
> Regenerate the mailserver configuration via "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk"
Not: --with-spam ?
Only if you are using the Plesk anti-spam tools. And you wouldn't if you are using qmail-scanner.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Thank you! That's really extremely useful.

This mod_rewrite thing for domain aliases is very interesting. Hmm.....
<advert>
</advert>