Bug/problem with psa-proftpd from Atomic Corp.

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
HHawk
New Forum User
New Forum User

Bug/problem with psa-proftpd from Atomic Corp.

Unread post by HHawk »

Several users have reported an issue with 1.3.6rc2 Proftpd (the version shipped in psa-proftpd package from AtomicRepo) is buggy and it is causing ASCII file corruption during FTP upload due to a problem with Windows carriage returns handling.

Full details to the problematic version:
psa-proftpd 1.3.6-10.el6.art
Version: 1.3.6rc2 (devel)
Platform: LINUX [Linux 2.6.32-042stab113.21 x86_64]
Built: Mon Mar 21 2016 15:40:44 EDT

Only solution is to run yum downgrade psa-proftpd, so it goes back to version 1.3.5a (1.3.6-9.el6.art).
However the next day I return to see it's been updated again to the buggy version.

As I mentioned several users checked this and confirmed this as well.
See for more details Plesk forum: https://talk.plesk.com/threads/parse-er ... le.337532/

This bug/problem is also mentioned on the ProFTPD forums here: https://forums.proftpd.org/smf/index.ph ... 956.0.html

As some users have stated in the forum, the problem is purely with the Atomic Corp version. A different user installed the rc2 version from ProFTPD directly and didn't have any problems.

Hopefully this will be resolved asap. Having to downgrade psa-proftpd every day on every server is becoming annoying, to say the least. Ofcourse I could block the update, but I rather do this only as a last resort...

I am astonished nobody else reported it in here. Oh well...
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Bug/problem with psa-proftpd from Atomic Corp.

Unread post by scott »

If you could catch me on irc that'd be great, we're all (proftpd & atomic) having a hard time coming up with a way to duplicate this and we could really use your help there. Im on EST (washington dc), otherwise I idle in that channel all the time.
HHawk
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by HHawk »

I was on IRC for some time yesterday. I live in the Netherlands, so doubt we have the same timezones.

Anyways, did you read the the threads posted on both websites, both explain and give examples. Better than I ever can.
I just places syntax errors when uploading files for customers.

I had to correct a website of a customer yesterday because there was a letter somewhere suddenly added in the .php file.
This only happens with the latest version which is available through Atomic's repo. Anyways, I am going to downgrade psa-proftpd 1.3.6-10.el6.art on several of our servers again now.

I will ask if someone on the Plesk forum can explain better. I have no clue how to explain it better, other than how it's mentioned in the threads I posted...
scott

Unread post by scott »

We were finally able to identify a reliable test case for this with Faris' help for Bug ID#4237. The nature of the bug had to do with reading data from a TCP socket, and then looking for CRLF sequences to look for the "end" of a line. CRLF is what is what indicates the end of the line, and since different operating systems do this differently confusion can ensue. TL;DR: A file goes from being a file, to a sometimes nebulous stream of data, which is interpreted back into a file again.

https://github.com/proftpd/proftpd/pull/274

This PR has been added to psa-proftpd version 1.3.6-11, and should be available in all mirrors shortly.
HHawk
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by HHawk »

Awesome. Thank you very much!
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

This was one of those cases where reproducing the error was next to impossible.

I'm just glad that minds much smarter than mine (and thankfully not living on Mars) were able to figure out what was going on based on the scant info I was able to provide.

Thanks must also go to two of my customers who assisted with testing in various ways.

I'd also like to thank my mother, my agent, my cat, my turtle.. Oh wait. Wrong universe/life. This is the one where I'm a techie, not a film star, isn't it? Darn.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>