Php-fpm

Support/Development for PHP
drazilgnik
Forum User
Forum User

Php-fpm

Unread post by drazilgnik »

Is there any plan to integrate Php-fpm to Php 5.3.5 or any newer versions ?
The latest version that included Php-fpm was 5.3.3
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Php-fpm

Unread post by scott »

Sure is, it was added to 5.3.x SVN branch months ago.
drazilgnik
Forum User
Forum User

Both 5.3.4 and 5.3.5 don't include php-fpm right now.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Like I said, SVN branch.. :P It should show up in 5.3.6 though
drazilgnik
Forum User
Forum User

Thanks for adding this to 5.3.6

Do you have any plans to update Nginx version also as Nginx 1.0.0 stable version is released now. I can compile and install this without a problem but would prefer to use the version on Atomic repo
scott

Unread post by scott »

Sure no problem, and dont forget to harass nginx about mod_security support every chance you get!
drazilgnik
Forum User
Forum User

Thanks for updating so fast Scott :)
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

scott wrote:Sure no problem, and dont forget to harass nginx about mod_security support every chance you get!
Better yet, why not consider cutting the ASL <-> Apache umbilical cord by packaging it with "Apachelite" (Apache compiled only with mod_proxy and mod_security)?

ASL + Apachelite listens on Port 80, does its mod_security thing and reverse proxies to Port 8080.

Users can then run any webserver we want on Port 8080. Nginx, Hiawatha, Cherokee, Lighty, ... or even Apache.

I had to cancel my ASL subscription because I couldn't use it with Nginx.
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Better yet, why not consider cutting the ASL <-> Apache umbilical cord by packaging it with "Apachelite" (Apache compiled only with mod_proxy and mod_security)?
We agree, and have been working on just that option. In an upcoming release (which we will grandly announce when its done), ASL will offer you an when to install option, either to integrate the WAF into the webserver or to run a separate proxy in front of whatever you are using.

You can do that yourself now (mod_proxy and mod_sec), but we realize not everyone knows how to configured mod_proxy correctly.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

mikeshinn wrote:We have been working on just that option.
Great minds do think alike ... and as this will help change the current hostile stance towards Nginx (you've railed against it in the past :twisted: ) and the indifference towards the enabling php-fpm (I had to change to using the Remi Repo :roll: ), they'll get synced even more!

Now, if the grand announcement is made before my current subscription runs out in July, maybe I can come back without getting hit with the new higher ASL prices. :mrgreen:
scott

Unread post by scott »

btw fpm was added to php 5.3 a few months ago. The core configuration logic for the proxy system is in ASL 3.0 now. That means that you can run an ASL 3 system in front of other systems. The only thing it lacks in this context is the ability to specify the port to redirect against a local daemon, once that is in place you'd just tell it to proxy to your alternate daemon on localhost/port.
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Great minds do think alike ... and as this will help change the current hostile stance towards Nginx (you've railed against it in the past :twisted: )
Now thats just silly. We don't have a hostile stance towards nginx, in fact we like nginx so much we bundled it into the atomic-accelerator package. Thats like saying we have a hostile stance towards Linux. :-P

Perhaps you misunderstood what I said about nginx: nginx does not have a modsecurity like WAF module. If you don't have a WAF, then you may be exposed to certain web attacks. If you are going to use nginx put a WAF in front of it if you want to be protected from web attacks.

Thats not railing against anything and thats true for any web server that does not a WAF module you can plug into it. We're a security company and I'd be a terrible person if I didnt point out a weakness in a proposed architecture, when I've been asked what the security implications are with such a proposed architecture.

I would love to see nginx add such a module, and barring that we're working on a reverse proxy to put in front of it.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

scott wrote:fpm was added to php 5.3 a few months ago.
True dat, true dat. It was indeed added to 5.3.3.
Only problem was that it was left out of both 5.3.4 and 5.3.5 which meant either sticking with 5.3.3 or finding an alternative repo.

Anyway, all's well that ends well and looking forward to the coming improvements.
dayo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by dayo »

mikeshinn wrote:We don't have a hostile stance towards nginx
Perhaps but remember that perception always trumps reality in business. Your rant( :lol: ) coupled with the fpm situation gave that perception at the time.
mikeshinn wrote: I would love to see nginx add such a module, and barring that we're working on a reverse proxy to put in front of it.
I think the latter option is the better one as it will open ASL to other webservers as well.

BTW Mike, I was just waiting for you to get up and dust yourself after jumping in front of Scott to catch the bullet before firing one off at you! :mrgreen: