Plesk 10.4.4 Doesn't Like Atomic

Support/Development for PHP
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Plesk 10.4.4 Doesn't Like Atomic

Unread post by KrazyBob »

I don't know where to post this and I don't mean to double post. But trying to get to PHP 5.3.13 through the Plesk 10.4.4 control panel I now get:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Third-party Yum repository 'atomic' is enabled, installation may fail.

Since you use one or more 3rd-party repos (say, atomic), be careful when installing different package versions from different repos as this may lead to installation failures. For example, you may encounter a problem if you first install PHP from a 3rd-party repo and then upgrade it using the Parallels repo. To avoid such situations, install and upgdare packages from the same repo.
I am somewhat green and don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Plesk 10.4.4 Doesn't Like Atomic

Unread post by breun »

I believe it should just work.

You could also disable atomic before installing Plesk and enable it afterwards and then upgrade to Atomic's PHP packages if you want to circumvent this message.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I could, but Plesk 10.4.4 is pissing me off in so many ways I might just take a sledge hammer to all of the servers. And they want $75 PER ISSUE at Parallels for support. Passwords are a pain when migrating from Plesk 8.x.

Thanks for the reply.
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

What's the problem with passwords?
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

biggles wrote:What's the problem with passwords?
This thread is about PHP and Plesk's warning to avoid the Atomic repo. You can do a search on the well known Plesk password issues.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I don't think it is a warning to avoid the Atomic repo specifically. I think it is actually a warning to avoid almost any third party repo - if you had others enabled (e.g. rpmforge) you'd see warnings for those too.

The problem is that parallels tests Plesk using the standard OS repos. There may be situations where a third party repo causes dependancy problems, or contains incompatible packages, and these could cause the upgrade or installation to fail, or for Plesk not to work correctly afterwards. Plesk therefore warns you about this in advance.

You also need to be aware that Parallels usually won't provide even paid support to resolve problems if you decide to continue with the install/upgrade if you have third party php/mysql, and no doubt certain other things too, installed.

All these points are annoying, but for the most part they are understandable.

In general, in real life you should not encounter any significant issues with the ART php or MySQL installed when dealing with Plesk 10.4.4, which is stable, sensible and modern, but if you have a choice I'd always recommend sticking to the default repos for a fresh plesk install, then upgrading php/mysql afterwards.

Those of us likely to do in-place Plesk 10.x to Plesk 11.x upgrades in the not so distant future have no choice -- we already have art php and mysql installed. It will either work or it won't. I do not expect any significant problems myself, once 11 has had a chance to mature (I'm expecting this to happen more quickly than with 9.x and 10.x as 11 is quite close to 10 under the hood, if I understand things correctly). We'll see soon enough.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

You would be surprised. For 10 days we've been trying to migrate servers and Plesk 10.4.4 keeps complaining of missing SSL certificates, changes passwords of already decrypted passwords, attempts to create duplicate DNS errors, etc. Parallels has duplicated the errors but has nit / is not resolving the issues. I have so many angry customers that are told daily to wait...
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

That sounds bad. I had loads of errors listed in the migration logs (just done 4 migrations) but 99% were informational and those that weren't were easily fixable. I'm really unhappy to hear you had such a bad time of it. That's the last thing anybody needs on their plate, especially if a quick fix is not available.

But are we talking about

ERROR:	()	Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/ipmanage.php -u 11.22.33.44 -ssl_certificate_ref long-string-of-numbers-and-letters -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
Certificate does not exist.
and

ERROR:	(domain object domain.tld)	Execution of /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/dns.php --set domain.tld -list /usr/local/psa/PMM/tmp/dnsKwAyrJ -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
Unable to restore the DNS zone: an error occurred while adding the webmail.domain.tld IN A 11.22.33.44 record: Such CNAME DNS record already exists.
I had loads of those but they were purely informational in my case and no harm done.

I also had loads of passwords generated, but only for mailnames with no mailboxes/passwords or for the occasional Domain Admins who didn't have a specific password. I've not heard of the password problem you have experienced. I didn't know any Plesk passwords were encrypted in anything other than 11 (apart from the admin password itself) .

I'm obviously looking at the wrong bits of the Parallels forum :-(
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The DNS errors may be informational but not he SSL certificates. The SSL certs. sit on the source servers and are not coming over. I have 25 servers to do and I am going to lose a couple of dedicated servers at this point.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Parallels has shown use that certain passwords remain encrypted but we don't know from where. How can this mysql code be modified to change the password after locating it?

use psa;
select d.name, c.personalName, a.type, a.password from domains d, dom_level_usrs dlu, Cards c, accounts a where a.id=dlu.account_id and c.id=dlu.card_id and dlu.dom_id=d.id and a.type = 'crypt';
I am sure this will help others as well.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

This somewhat proves my pint and perhaps my thread on SSL certificates that did not migrate correctly should be merged in. After 10 days of going back and forth with Parallels and still not having working SSL certs. the Parallels "engineer" whom I will not name stated:

"Regarding the warning, that is risen upon the migration, it is caused by different PHP/OpenSSL versions..."

implying that system administrators that update PHP do so at their own risk because it often causes problems. They are his words, not mine. I suppose this is how he will justify not providing paid migration support. For the record, I buy directly from Parallels. Maybe I should switch.

I still need at least PHP 5.3.3 to be ahead of the curve and the latest MySQL. My customers are demanding it and refuse to accept that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Some will say that 5.2.17 is fine -- until next week. At the moment I cannot do a backup because our backup server is Virtuozzo 3 and the new HN is VZ4.

It sucks being me. I haven't had sleep in 10 days. Plesk 10.4.4 won't cooperate and I suppose I somewhat agree that to update PHP and MySQL at this stage would not be prudent. Migrate successfully and then upgrade.
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by mikeshinn »

For what its worth, our PHP and mysql builds work fine with Plesk, so I wouldn't take that kind of cop out from Parallels. They even know that our php and mysql builds work fine, if you go thru the KB you'll see times when they even recommend using our builds to fix a security problem with Plesk! (For example, proftp)
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Your's is an interesting perspective. I tend to go along with you and I'm tired of the bull coming from Parallels.