Support/Development for MySQL, MariaDB, and other database systems
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Twitter-MySQL-enhancements-open-sourced

Unread post by BruceLee »

might interest someone around here:
SOURCE: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 17673.html

Twitter has announced that it is open sourcing work it has done to improve MySQL in its production systems. The microblogging and social networking platform is a major user of MySQL – using it for timeline, user data, interest graph and tweet storage – and has been adapting MySQL to its needs.

The changes include making MySQL more monitorable by exporting more InnoDB storage engine information and making MySQL more predictable by allocating buffers at startup on machines with large amounts of memory and improving timeouts and cancellations on queries. Other changes optimise MySQL for SSD-based systems by changing behaviour to reduce the number of writes to the disk which should, in turn, improve the lifespan of the SSD drives.Twitter has also developed a technique for exporting and restoring the InnoDB buffer pool which is used as part of its build tools to provide rolling restarts for systems.

Twitter's modifications have been published on GitHub under a New BSD Licence and documented; the change history is also available. The company will be presenting its plans for its other MySQL work, the sharding and replication framework Gizzard, at the Percona MySQL conference later this week.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Twitter-MySQL-enhancements-open-sourced

Unread post by nobody »

Unfortunately oracle isn't helping at all the free mysql version so they can sell licenses. It would be great if other could help improve mysql ...
Hello IT.
Phone : Blah Blah ....
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

Others ARE trying to help MySQL. The only problem is they're forking MySQL and people are hesitant to adopt them (partially because some are still in their infancy and not as well supported).
Some other projects to consider are MariaDB and Drizzle. Both are MySQL compatible for the most part but are still pretty new.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

I'll make a note of tracking it, maybe we can get something going on this with cloudlinux and parallels. Picking the changes out of the source trees could take a bit of effort, so if anyone is interested in helping just let me know.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

Highland wrote:Others ARE trying to help MySQL. The only problem is they're forking MySQL and people are hesitant to adopt them (partially because some are still in their infancy and not as well supported).
Some other projects to consider are MariaDB and Drizzle. Both are MySQL compatible for the most part but are still pretty new.

These 2 replacements you suggested seem interesting. I will take a look at them at the near future when I have some spare time. They seem promising. Hvae you tried any of the 2 to see if they actually do what they promise ?

Hello IT.
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
Highland
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by Highland »

I tinkered with Drizzle some and it's something I was pretty excited about for a while. Drizzle stripped out all of the bloat in the core of MySQL and wrote just a simple system and made it plugin driven. That means that you can really customize Drizzle in ways you can't in MySQL. It's also lighter in weight.

The bulk of the problem was it was so new it had no support. I couldn't even find a PHP connector at the time (although it did well enough with php-mysql). Also, while the major things had plugins (like InnoDB), some of the other things (like translating data from MySQL) weren't there yet. I still feel that Drizzle has the potential to upstage MySQL because of it's approach but it's still not there.

Just realize that there's thousands of boards and posts about MySQL and virtually none about anything else.
"Its not a mac. I run linux... I'm actually cool." - scott
scott

Unread post by scott »

Yeah mysql still has a lot of momentum behind it. Im totally in for adding drizzle, maria, etc to Atomic. If you post the latest versions to the Requests forums its easier for us to stay on top of, personally thats the first forum I check every day (well that and Alerts).