Domain cheker not work (WHMCS) ?

copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Domain cheker not work (WHMCS) ?

Unread post by copernic2006 »

Hello,
I have a problem with the function of domaincheker WHMCS, each time a client verifies the availability of a domain name, he receives the following error:
There was an error in your request, the site WHMCS gives explicaion following for this error:
When checking availability this domain has Indicates That Your firewall is blocking the whois port; 43. Please Ensure port 43 is open. It Could aussi indicato your server is Unable to connect to the whois server listed in the / includes / whoisservers.php file - Ensure your server is ble to connect to the whois server on port 43 for the TLDs listed in this file.
In csf, port 43 is open (TCP_OUT), do you think the firewall asl blocks this port ?

Thank you for your help
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Domain cheker not work (WHMCS) ?

Unread post by mikeshinn »

ASL does not block anything outbound by default. Did you configure ASL to block anything outbound? If so, what ports did you configure? Please post a screenshot of your ASL firewall config and the output of this command:

iptables -L -n
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Hello Mike,
Thank you for your help.
I use the default configuration Firewal ASL. (attached a screenshot of the configuration).
On the command iptables-L-n, that it generates a results of 6400 lines, if you wish, I will send you the access to my server for you to do an audit?

Regards
Yahia Setti
Attachments
firewal-config.png
firewal-config.png (139.11 KiB) Viewed 25541 times
mikeshinn

OK, so that looks like ASL isnt configured to block any ports inbound or outbound. If you have 6400 rules, then something set those up, did you use some third party third firewall script or tool? (CSF, APF, etc.)
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Hello Mike,
Yes csf is installed on my server. Port 43 is open TCP_OUT (csf)

Regards
Yahia Setti
mikeshinn

We don't have anything to do with CSF, so if you have to use their script you'll have to ask them for assistance. If I had to guess, something is wrong with the way they are setting up outbound rules. Maybe the wrong protocol is being configured (TCP instead of UDP, etc.), or maybe the order is wrong.

Or, just use the firewall system in ASL and uninstall CSF. In ASL, just add in the ports you want to allow in/out using fast mode (make sure you uninstall CSF and any other third party firewall scripts, they will definitely interfere):

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.ph ... FEasy_Mode
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Hello Mike,
Sorry for the delay, I tried to understand the origin of the problem but without success.
I followed your recommendations and then I uninstalled csf
Then I executed:

Code: Select all

service iptables restart;service asl-firewall restart
Unfortunately the problem persists, I always get the error: There was a problem connecting to the domain registry. Please check port 43 is open in your firewall servers.

Can you please help me solve the problem?

Regards
Yahia Setti
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Although it might not help depending on how asf is setting up the firewall, using the following command on the command line might help identify if port 43 is specifically being blocked or opened:

iptables -v -n -L | grep ':43'

This will hopefully list anything related to port 43 (and any port starting with 43 as well although we don't care about those)

Be aware that this will miss references to the port if it has been specified as a range or in some other way. Maybe doing:

iptables -v -n -L | less

...and taking a look at the first few screens worth might help. But if you have 6400+ rules...wow. That in itself could cause a problem in some situations (but mostly only if you had a VPS instead of a dedicated server). I'm assuming you are doing geoblocking?

Ah. Now then. Geoblocking. Hmm....If the server you need to communicate with has an IP that is within the range of one of the 6400+ IPs/ranges listed, and depending on the order in which the firewall rules are processed, maybe that's what's causing the problem? This is just a wild guess as to a possible possibility!
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
mikeshinn

I just logged into the system, and the "whois" command was missing, so not sure if your app needed the whois app but if it did then that was part of the problem. Also, CSF had installed a ton of conflicting rules, and uninstalling CSF did not apparently remove the rules.

So I removed the CSF rules, and I installed whois on the system its working now.

[root@<host> ~]# whois 129.174.1.0
-bash: whois: command not found
[root@<host> ~]# yum -y install jwhois
<snippage>
Complete!
[root@alger ~]# whois 129.174.1.0
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
NetRange: 129.174.0.0 - 129.174.255.255
CIDR: 129.174.0.0/16
OriginAS: AS11279
NetName: MASONET
NetHandle: NET-129-174-0-0-1
Parent: NET-129-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
RegDate: 1988-01-12
Updated: 2011-11-01
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-129-174-0-0-1
<snippage>
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

I finally found the solution that I share in case someone else has the same problem with WHMCS,
I was misled in the search for a solution by the nature of the error message that criminalized the firewall (ASL or other)
It was enough simply not to include the fsockopen in disabled function (in php.ini, although it is recommended to disable this feature for security reasons)
I am looking for a solution that allows me to enable this feature only for accounts using WHMCS (http://atomicorp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6355)
Thank you to all those who kindly help me to solve this problem,
anupamrekha
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by anupamrekha »

thanks for the idea, although fsockopen is not disabled in my disabled functions list, i am thinking on similar lines.
anupamrekha
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by anupamrekha »

Well! How I have finally solved the issue is - I check in my resellerclub account. went to setting-> API and added the all the 3 IPS I hae with my VPS. I had added the primary IP only earlier. and .com and .net was working but .in and .info lookup timed out. my website is satyamhosting.com

Hope it helps someone.