New Relic

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
otreva
New Forum User
New Forum User

New Relic

Unread post by otreva »

I'm trying to figure out why I can't see any in formation on my processes in New Relic for my server running ASL. Is there a way to whitelist the nrsysmond (new relic) process in ASL so I can still use their reporting?

I'm not sure whether traffic to New Relic is being blocked or whether is is the process itself being blocked.

Any insight?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: New Relic

Unread post by breun »

As which user is nrsysmond running? The ASL kernel only lets a process see processes owned by the same owner (except for root, which is almighty).
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
otreva
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by otreva »

breun wrote:As which user is nrsysmond running? The ASL kernel only lets a process see processes owned by the same owner (except for root, which is almighty).
Ahh that makes sense. It is running as user "newrelic". So then this would need to run as either "tortix" or "root" basically for the process reporting to work correctly?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

If you want the process to be able to 'see' all processes you'd have to run it as root when running the ASL kernel. Of course you'd have to trust the nrsysmond process to not do anything naughty when running as root.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Theres a special group that bypasses this. If you add a user to gid 1001, that will allow the user to see all the processes, and any restricted elements in /proc.
otreva
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by otreva »

mikeshinn wrote:Theres a special group that bypasses this. If you add a user to gid 1001, that will allow the user to see all the processes, and any restricted elements in /proc.
Nice thanks!

I ran:
# usermod -a -G procread newrelic

And now I have everything. Thanks I figured it was straightforward.
dkopecek
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by dkopecek »

Yes !!! Thank you. Worked for me on CentOS 6.5. I also needed to restart newrelic-sysmond:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/newrelic-sysmond restart