ASL install on percona 5.6?

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ASL install on percona 5.6?

Unread post by imadsani »

Hey,

Has anyone been able to get ASL to install on a server running Percona database server?
In my experience, Percona's daemon is called mysql and not mysqld, so as soon as the ASL installer reaches the mysql configuration part it looks for mysqld and fails. It tries to install it but fails, maybe because yum throws a conflict.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: ASL install on percona 5.6?

Unread post by scott »

Not extensively, the only version we've done any QA against was v 5.6 and it mostly worked. There are some internal issues with the trigger permissions that worked inconsistently. I do know of at least one environment where they did get it working cleanly though.

Officially supporting percona, and mariadb 10 are very much on our radar. Mariadb 5.5 is passing QA testing already.
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

A quick look at the installation script confirmed my hypothesis, creating a hard symlink for mysqld solves the problem.

To be precise this is the exact line of code which solved the problem

Code: Select all

# Fix 2: Correct /etc/init.d/mysqld script
ln -sf /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/init.d/mysqld
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I got to install but turns out if wasn't that simple.

A couple of days after the installation i noticed that the ASL control center would freeze at Initializing. Support says it's because of mysql threads stuck at 100%. Mysql's error says the following:

Code: Select all

2014-05-26 20:57:56 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_mtimes" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_user" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_user_group" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 36131a81700 InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found.
2014-05-26 20:57:56 36131a81700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_saved_search" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."alert" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_archive_tmp" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_stat_rule" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_stat_ip" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_stat_dow_hod" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."aslw_stat_geo" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.
2014-05-26 20:58:18 3612f791700 InnoDB: Error: Fetch of persistent statistics requested for table "tortix"."location" but the required system tables mysql.innodb_table_stats and mysql.innodb_index_stats are not present or have unexpected structure. Using transient stats instead.

Any ideas?
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Did you upgrade mysql 5.5 to 5.6? If so, this error is caused because your mysql upgrader didnt create the 5 innodb tables that come with mysql. You've got a bad mysql upgrade basically, and yes that would totally kill mysql performance.

You'll have to create those tables from scratch. Heres the SQL to create these default mysql tables:

innodb_index_stats

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `innodb_index_stats` (
`database_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`table_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`index_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`last_update` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
`stat_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`stat_value` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`sample_size` bigint(20) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`stat_description` varchar(1024) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`database_name`,`table_name`,`index_name`,`stat_name`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin STATS_PERSISTENT=0;

innodb_table_stats

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `innodb_table_stats` (
`last_update` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
`n_rows` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`clustered_index_size` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`sum_of_other_index_sizes` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`database_name`,`table_name`)

slave_master_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_master_info` (
`Number_of_lines` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of lines in the file.',
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the master binary log currently being read from the master.',
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The master log position of the last read event.',
`Host` char(64) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'The host name of the master.',
`User_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The user name used to connect to the master.',
`User_password` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The password used to connect to the master.',
`Port` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The network port used to connect to the master.',
`Connect_retry` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The period (in seconds) that the slave will wait before trying to reconnect to the master.',
`Enabled_ssl` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Indicates whether the server supports SSL connections.',
`Ssl_ca` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The file used for the Certificate Authority (CA) certificate.',
`Ssl_capath` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The path to the Certificate Authority (CA) certificates.',
`Ssl_cert` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the SSL certificate file.',
`Ssl_cipher` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the cipher in use for the SSL connection.',
`Ssl_key` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the SSL key file.',
`Ssl_verify_server_cert` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Whether to verify the server certificate.',
`Heartbeat` float NOT NULL,
`Bind` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'Displays which interface is employed when connecting to the MySQL server',
`Ignored_server_ids` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The number of server IDs to be ignored, followed by the actual server IDs',
`Uuid` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The master server uuid.',
`Retry_count` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of reconnect attempts, to the master, before giving up.',
`Ssl_crl` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The file used for the Certificate Revocation List (CRL)',
`Ssl_crlpath` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The path used for Certificate Revocation List (CRL) files',
`Enabled_auto_position` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Indicates whether GTIDs will be used to retrieve events from the master.',
PRIMARY KEY (`Host`,`Port`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Master Information';

slave_relay_log_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_relay_log_info` (
`Number_of_lines` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of lines in the file or rows in the table. Used to version table definitions.',
`Relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the current relay log file.',
`Relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The relay log position of the last executed event.',
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the master binary log file from which the events in the relay log file were read.',
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The master log position of the last executed event.',
`Sql_delay` int(11) NOT NULL COMMENT 'The number of seconds that the slave must lag behind the master.',
`Number_of_workers` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Internal Id that uniquely identifies this record.',
PRIMARY KEY (`Id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Relay Log Information';

slave_worker_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_worker_info` (
`Id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_seqno` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_group_size` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_group_bitmap` blob NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Worker Information';

Or, if you have a brand new non-upgraded 5.6 install, those generally have these tables. You can dump those tables from a brand new 5.6 (again, non-upgradd) instance and load them on your upgraded instance:

export INNODB_TABLES="innodb_index_stats innodb_table_stats slave_master_info slave_relay_log_info slave_worker_info"
mysqldump -uroot -p mysql ${INNODB_TABLES} > InnoDB_MySQL_Tables.sql

Then load in the reverse order into your upgraded instance.
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I ran mysql_upgrade after I saw those errors and I haven't seen them since then, but the panel is slow as hell. Once it loads (like after an hour), it takes equally long to do anything.

I'm going to run the database from another server in an attempt to identify what went wrong with this install.
mikeshinn

The load time is 100% dependent on the performance of the database. We definitely saw that mysql on that system is very overloaded, and I see the engineer recommended you look at what else is using the database. What else is using the database, and whats using up some much CPU time?
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

that's the thing, ASL was the only application using the database. The database for the website we were hosting was being run off of a separate server.
I spun up a small vps and installed mysql 5.5 and configured ASL to use this vps, the load went down but ASL load times were the same. It was taking ages for ASL to load.
mikeshinn

That sounds like the vps may be undersized, you said it was small right? What are the params on that vps, and whats allocated to it (cpu, memory, i/o buses, etc.) vs to other things on that iron, plus whats the utilization across the entire iron (I/O, cpu, memory, etc.)?

As you may know, mysql will grind to a halt if it cant read from your drives really quickly, and if a box is oversubscribed (for example, its got 8 cores, and all 8 are assigned to vps') forget about it, its dead in the water.

The load times in the web console are dependent on mysqls performance. If its not loading right away, something is seriously wrong with that box. Load times shouldnt take more a second, and thats mostly the browser.

Can you tell us more about this box? I've definitely never seen that happen before unless the box is either torqued, oversubscribed or overloaded.
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I'm setting up a new server since troubleshooting it is taking too long.

But I'll share in case this helps someone else.

The server is a dual Xeon E5-2420 (2 x 6 cores hyperthreaded), 7200rpm drives and 32GB RAM. The initial traffic was the same as that on a previous server which was a octacore AMD, the old server was running dandy with ASL, traffic remained the same until recently. The only thing different was that the new server was running Percona 5.6. The vps i had spun up was a 512MB single core server with SSD storage from Digital Ocean.

I had a server free-up so I'm using that as a test base, i'll post updates as soon as there are any
mikeshinn

The vps i had spun up was a 512MB single core server with SSD storage from Digital Ocean.
Thats definitely a problem, your VPS was too small. Please see the ASL pre-reqs:

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.ph ... s#Hardware
imadsani
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I absolutely do not deny that the vps was small, but that wasn't the problem, the problem was that a vanilla install of percona was consuming 100% cpu on a 12 core Xeon server because of ASL.

Anyway, I just got done redoing another server with percona 5.6 and ASL 4.0.2, let's see how this behaves
mikeshinn

I understand, as you may know, please be aware that Percona 5.6 is not a supported version. Please see this URL:

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.ph ... d_versions
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by copernic2006 »

Thank you Mike, It allowed me to save precious time :)
mikeshinn wrote:Did you upgrade mysql 5.5 to 5.6? If so, this error is caused because your mysql upgrader didnt create the 5 innodb tables that come with mysql. You've got a bad mysql upgrade basically, and yes that would totally kill mysql performance.

You'll have to create those tables from scratch. Heres the SQL to create these default mysql tables:

innodb_index_stats

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `innodb_index_stats` (
`index_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`stat_name` varchar(64) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`stat_value` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`sample_size` bigint(20) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`stat_description` varchar(1024) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`database_name`,`table_name`,`index_name`,`stat_name`)

innodb_table_stats

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `innodb_table_stats` (
`n_rows` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`clustered_index_size` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`sum_of_other_index_sizes` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`database_name`,`table_name`)

slave_master_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_master_info` (
`Number_of_lines` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of lines in the file.',
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the master binary log currently being read from the master.',
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The master log position of the last read event.',
`Host` char(64) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'The host name of the master.',
`User_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The user name used to connect to the master.',
`User_password` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The password used to connect to the master.',
`Port` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The network port used to connect to the master.',
`Connect_retry` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The period (in seconds) that the slave will wait before trying to reconnect to the master.',
`Enabled_ssl` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Indicates whether the server supports SSL connections.',
`Ssl_ca` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The file used for the Certificate Authority (CA) certificate.',
`Ssl_capath` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The path to the Certificate Authority (CA) certificates.',
`Ssl_cert` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the SSL certificate file.',
`Ssl_cipher` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the cipher in use for the SSL connection.',
`Ssl_key` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The name of the SSL key file.',
`Ssl_verify_server_cert` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Whether to verify the server certificate.',
`Heartbeat` float NOT NULL,
`Bind` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'Displays which interface is employed when connecting to the MySQL server',
`Ignored_server_ids` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The number of server IDs to be ignored, followed by the actual server IDs',
`Uuid` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The master server uuid.',
`Retry_count` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of reconnect attempts, to the master, before giving up.',
`Ssl_crl` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The file used for the Certificate Revocation List (CRL)',
`Ssl_crlpath` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin COMMENT 'The path used for Certificate Revocation List (CRL) files',
`Enabled_auto_position` tinyint(1) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Indicates whether GTIDs will be used to retrieve events from the master.',
PRIMARY KEY (`Host`,`Port`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Master Information';

slave_relay_log_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_relay_log_info` (
`Number_of_lines` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Number of lines in the file or rows in the table. Used to version table definitions.',
`Relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the current relay log file.',
`Relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The relay log position of the last executed event.',
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL COMMENT 'The name of the master binary log file from which the events in the relay log file were read.',
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'The master log position of the last executed event.',
`Sql_delay` int(11) NOT NULL COMMENT 'The number of seconds that the slave must lag behind the master.',
`Number_of_workers` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL COMMENT 'Internal Id that uniquely identifies this record.',
PRIMARY KEY (`Id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Relay Log Information';

slave_worker_info

USE mysql
CREATE TABLE `slave_worker_info` (
`Id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_relay_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_relay_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_master_log_name` text CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_master_log_pos` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_seqno` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_group_size` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
`Checkpoint_group_bitmap` blob NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`Id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 STATS_PERSISTENT=0 COMMENT='Worker Information';

Or, if you have a brand new non-upgraded 5.6 install, those generally have these tables. You can dump those tables from a brand new 5.6 (again, non-upgradd) instance and load them on your upgraded instance:

export INNODB_TABLES="innodb_index_stats innodb_table_stats slave_master_info slave_relay_log_info slave_worker_info"
mysqldump -uroot -p mysql ${INNODB_TABLES} > InnoDB_MySQL_Tables.sql

Then load in the reverse order into your upgraded instance.
leaddog
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by leaddog »

scott wrote:Not extensively, the only version we've done any QA against was v 5.6 and it mostly worked. There are some internal issues with the trigger permissions that worked inconsistently. I do know of at least one environment where they did get it working cleanly though.

Officially supporting percona, and mariadb 10 are very much on our radar. Mariadb 5.5 is passing QA testing already.
I know this thread is from last year, but I wanted to quote the above post stating that percona support is in the works. Is there any update on the status of this? I am sure many of us would like to use either Maria database seeing it now ships with cPanel or pecona database instead of the default MySQL.

Has anyone got Percona 5.6 working successfully with ASL? If so what changes or configurations need to be done.