RHEL/CentOS 7 support

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: RHEL/CentOS 7 support

Unread post by BruceLee »

I'm a bit confused. 4.0.11 is out and the channel shows a Centos7 directory.
Has ASL for CentOS 7 left beta or not?
Thanks a lot.
papak
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by papak »

scott wrote:Well since there isnt a kernel for RHEL / Centos 7 yet, we can rule out the kernel (There is no ASL kernel for Centos 7 yet).
Ops! Why ASL Installer installed this Kernel? I'll remove it. Thank you.
papak
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by papak »

BruceLee wrote:I'm a bit confused. 4.0.11 is out and the channel shows a Centos7 directory.
Has ASL for CentOS 7 left beta or not?
Thanks a lot.
It is official release but without ASL kernel.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks for the update. Any ETA for the kernel?
papak
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by papak »

BruceLee wrote:Thanks for the update. Any ETA for the kernel?
This must be answered by Scott.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

-testing builds expected to hit the channel as soon as next week
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks Scott. When do you roughly expect the final version with kernel for CentOS7 leaving testing?
scott

Unread post by scott »

It depends on what shakes out during testing, what we'd like to do is standardize both EL6 and EL7 on the same 3.14 kernel. In the case of EL7 this isnt too big of a step, on EL6 its a huge one. To quote don rumsfeld, there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

We know 3.14 works just fine on el6 (known unknown) but not the impact of that on 3rd party kernel modules (unknown unknowns).

So thats the strategic problem, the tactical problem... kernels take hours to build :P So you make a mistake fix something minor, and then sit and wait for an hour or two for it to build. Rinse... repeat....
zeki
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by zeki »

Anyone updated to Cloudlinux 7.1 with ASL (without the kernel) ? is it supported?

http://cloudlinux.com/blog/clnews/669.php
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks Scott, so you expect are quite smooth start with CentOS7.
I will try to setup a new server and run it with CentOS7 and the kernel from testing channel.
scott

Unread post by scott »

I think everyone who hasnt been getting used to systemd over the last 2 years is going to find it pretty frustrating until they learn how to take advantage of it. It is absolutely going to make your job harder than it was on EL5 or 6. Im thinking about starting a Living with systemd forum just for all the new things you have to learn about it.

If Im making it sound like its awful, Im really not trying to do that :P The capabilities its bringing to the table is pretty impressive. It brings all the resource management that distros like Cloudlinux & Betterlinux do by default, as well as Container based virtualization like openvz/virtuozzo (They call them Namespaces), not to mention KVM, Xen, and Docker.
uhsar
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by uhsar »

scott wrote:I think everyone who hasnt been getting used to systemd over the last 2 years is going to find it pretty frustrating until they learn how to take advantage of it. It is absolutely going to make your job harder than it was on EL5 or 6. Im thinking about starting a Living with systemd forum just for all the new things you have to learn about it.

If Im making it sound like its awful, Im really not trying to do that :P The capabilities its bringing to the table is pretty impressive. It brings all the resource management that distros like Cloudlinux & Betterlinux do by default, as well as Container based virtualization like openvz/virtuozzo (They call them Namespaces), not to mention KVM, Xen, and Docker.
Hello Scott,

would that mean there is no more (especially security-)reason to use cloudlinux on a shared hosting server (cpanel as whm..)? :P
And may I ask you if there are any news regarding the centos 7 ASL kernel?

Thanks!
scott

Unread post by scott »

would that mean there is no more (especially security-)reason to use cloudlinux on a shared hosting server (cpanel as whm..)? :P
The only place where cloudlinux (and betterlinux, which also uses CGROUPS) have an edge in resource management is in proxying access to mysql (and its variants) and providing some level of restriction of database resources thru that. On that front Ive definitely seen traffic in the Mariadb & Percona communities on adding that to those DB's natively. They have to do this because mysql only runs as one user, so theres no way to do kernel level resource management since its all happening as one use. Hence why the Mariadb and Percona folks are looking to just make this native to the db.
And may I ask you if there are any news regarding the centos 7 ASL kernel?
Its one of many high priorities :P There are a lot of those... so many that I didnt even have the bandwidth to say we just relaunched our website, and Mike just presented at the Mach37 demoday here in DC:

https://twitter.com/CITorg/status/60580 ... 85/photo/1
adstock
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by adstock »

Hello

Any further news on the Kernel for CentOS 7. We are heading into meeting with our Security team and just would to like to know if it is likely to be in the next couple of months, so we can plan our upgrades.
Apologies if an update has been posted somewhere, but Google is directing us to this post, and a quick scout around the site is note providing me with many hints to where the CentOS7 kernel is.

Thanks in Advance.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Sure, we have builds in the tortix-kernel-testing & tortix-kernel-xen-testing channels now. They are named differently "kernel-asl" than previous iterations, as part of the new 3.14 kernel branch we're setting it up so ASL kernels do not replace the existing default kernels.