How to set OSSEC to ignore certain folders

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
gaia
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How to set OSSEC to ignore certain folders

Unread post by gaia »

One of our backup solution's folders is being diff'ed by OSSEC and it is taking up a lot of space.

A) Should I edit ossec.conf and add <ignore>/path/to/folder/</ignore> or is there an ASL specific recommended way to do this?

B) Is it safe to delete the contents of this folder in /var/ossec/queue/diff/local/path/to/folder?

C) What is the default setting in ASL's conf of OSSEC for how many diffs are stored? How far back is the history kept?

thanks
CentOS 6.9
ASL 4.0.19-37
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: How to set OSSEC to ignore certain folders

Unread post by faris »

In the GUI, under the ASL tab, check out File Integrity. That's where you would normally add extra directories to ignore.

I would assume that as soon as you have added it to the ignore list, it would be safe to delete, but....

I'm not sure how long the diffs go back. They certainly take a huge amount of space in some cases.

So we'll wait for official word on these two question.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
gaia
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by gaia »

official word was:
A) Ignores are configured in ASL Web->File Integrity->Ignore Rules

B) You can, but it can increase disk IO when it scans again it will add back the most recent copies. C is a better way to do it

C) Retention is configured from ASL Web->Settings->ASL Configuration->Host Intrusion Detection System->Number of Days to retain File Diff data

The default is to retain revisions for 60 days.
CentOS 6.9
ASL 4.0.19-37
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Brilliant. thanks.

I don't quite understand the answer to B though.

If the directory is ignored, why would it be scanned again?

Even if it was scanned again, I'm curious to know what exactly would be put back other than the most recent (single) diff (or diffs if there are a lot of files), which I'd have thought would result in the same or at least similar I/O as would normally happen? I guess it depends on the files and how much changes?
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

I think he was asking if he deleted the a whole diff tree that wasnt ignored. The next cycle (<frequency>XXXX) it would make copies of the files again.
gaia
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by gaia »

scott wrote:I think he was asking if he deleted the a whole diff tree that wasnt ignored. The next cycle (<frequency>XXXX) it would make copies of the files again.
In my case it wouldn't. the diff scan and the backup run roughly at the same time, and i am changing that. but the temporary files created by the backup solution were getting picked up by the diff process. since they are deleted once the backup completed, the next time the diff runs it wont have any files to watch over in that folder.
CentOS 6.9
ASL 4.0.19-37
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Ah, yes, I understand.

Thanks to both of you.
<advert>
</advert>