Allow url_fopen

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Allow url_fopen

Unread post by copernic2006 »

Hi,
I have a number requests from customers who want the allow url_fopen function is activated.
Do you think the risk is minimal by activating (url_include remain disabled)?
Thank you for sharing your opinions and experience.
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Allow url_fopen

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Its fairly risky function to allow, basically lets PHP allow URLs as files. This is one of the older ways of hacking PHP applications via a remote file include attack. Do you know what web applications they are using that require this?
copernic2006
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by copernic2006 »

Hello Mike,
The most recent case is that of a client that uses a component for wordpress (http://codecanyon.net/item/woocommerce- ... r/10959830)
This client is not hosted by me since this afternoon (no great loss, considering safety).
In the past, I had client in joomla who also requested that this feature be permitted.
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I've had a few clients that want url_fopen and I normally refuse.

I will make exceptions if I feel the risk is worth it though. But not very often.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by prupert »

Allowing url_fopen is very unsafe. More so because it is usually used by poorly written scripts. Using the cURL functions is a fine alternative.

There really is no sane reason to keep allow_url_fopen enabled.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management