Compiled Apache/php - Any issues

Customer support forums for Atomic Protector (formerly Atomic Secured Linux). There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using Atomic Protector. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)
jbmoore
Forum User
Forum User

Compiled Apache/php - Any issues

Unread post by jbmoore »

Hi,

We are considering ASL for our new webserver. One concern that I could not find a specific answer to on your board is whether ASL is compatible with a compiled and "make install" versions of Apache (2.4.2) located at /usr/local/apache with php compiled and installed at /usr/local/apache/php (7.0.6). CentOS7. Also, I get the impression that modsecurity is required, does ASL install that or do I need to recompile it with that module.

Specifically:

Linux u18986038 3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 31 16:04:38 UTC 2016 x86_64
Apache/2.4.20 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips PHP/7.0.6

Forewarned is forearmed...

Thank you!!

John..
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Compiled Apache/php - Any issues

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Yes you can use ASL with a custom web server. Configure ASL into transparent proxy mode where it will setup a WAF in front of your older version of apache as the WAF. You will not need to install modsecurity.

If you want to something different for your custom source built environment, contact us. We'll put a plan together for you.

As an aside, yes ASL will install modsecurity but only for versions of apache that are supplied by the OS vendor (for example the Centos RPM build of Apache 2.4.6-45.el7 on EL7). ASL will install modsecurity and apache will be configured as the WAF in that case.
jbmoore
Forum User
Forum User

Re: Compiled Apache/php - Any issues

Unread post by jbmoore »

Thanks... I'll study that configuration and hopefully I don't have any other questions..

John..