Where are the docs or support forum for ossec+?

Support/Development for OSSEC
raskolnikov88
Forum User
Forum User

Where are the docs or support forum for ossec+?

Unread post by raskolnikov88 »

After a couple days of trial and error I've learned a few things about ossec+, but there seems to be a lack of documentation. All of the documentation turns out to be for ossec, and I can find nothing about configuring the elk stack.

Is there an ossec+ support forum I missed somehow?
cponton
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Where are the docs or support forum for ossec+?

Unread post by cponton »

Forgive the delayed reply!

You can find most documentation at https://www.ossec.net/docs/

If you have any questions that you cannot find a solution to on the docs site, please drop them here and we will do our best to answer them for you.
Thanks!
PickleRick
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by PickleRick »

Unless I am missing something the linked docs do not cover OSSEC+ at all?

https://www.ossec.net/ pushes OSSEC+ as a step up from the base OSSEC install, and lists a bunch of extras, but where are they? How do I use them?

I registered for OSSEC+ and followed through the install guide. The process was extremely poor. It was so bad I started keeping notes to pass on, and I submitted them through the email feedback request I got a day later.

Was I supposed to install OSSEC first, and then install OSSEC+ (or oum, I guess)? The OSSEC+/oum install process did not walk me through the install steps like a normal OSSEC install does, where you are asked if you want email alerts, SMTP server, etc. It did install OSSEC, but it pegged my CPU at 100% and core-dumped on first start. Permissions on most files under /var/ossec are -r-xr-x---, meaning not even root can edit config files without first chmod-ing.

I am now struggling to ignore some log files which change daily, but I can't work out if I have PCRE2 support built in or not. I didn't get the chance to manually add it as described in the docs, though /etc/ossec-init.conf shows I have OSSEC v 3.6.0, so that means PCRE2 support ... is automatically supported? Maybe? The syscheck docs suggest the only "type" I can use for ignore is sregex, but the linked doc describing regex support describes 3 types (pcre2, regex, sregex). No idea how to work out which my install supports.

If I'd done a normal install of OSSEC instead of OSSEC+, I would have been able to manually try to enable PCRE2 support. Though even if it is/was supported, how do I use one, if only type=sregex is allowed on ignore?

As it is, my OSSEC+ install seems like a crippled OSSEC install. I have no idea how to use or enable or configure any of the OSSEC+ features, and the docs don't seem to cover any of them either. I'm on the verge of wiping the lot and going back to a plain OSSEC install.

What am I missing?
lematz
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by lematz »

Hey guys,

I have the same feeling. The whole OSSEC+ thing is not very round.
For the KOFE installation, I had to change the OSSEC config to allow the JSON alert output. I found that through the forum, the documentation does not mention it.

Regards,
Matz