DNSBL for spam? How to use best?

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

DNSBL for spam? How to use best?

Unread post by BruceLee »

Hi,

if using ASL, Plesk9 (MTA:qmail), qmail-scanner and spamassassin from atomic repo what is the best way to use DNSBL for blocking spam?

Using Plesk internal one? The package psa-qmail-rblsmtpd got installed by dependencies from psa installation.
Leaving Plesk option alone, because ASL does it? But where to enter the lists I want to use?

Or what other options do I have?

Thanks for being patient with a new ASL user :)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: DNSBL for spam? How to use best?

Unread post by faris »

ASL/qmail-scanner doesn't have (add/replace) a dnsbl for the MTA.

Using spamdyke instead of rblsmtpd is a better option as it allows you to log which rbl triggered when a connection is rejected, not to mention adding many additional and wonderful anti-spam functions.

Faris.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

+1. On one of my servers, the one for my personal accounts, the spam/malware handled by qmailscanner went down from 74% spam malware to about 0,3%. Pretty impressive...
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by BruceLee »

Thanks faris and biggles. I thought about spamdyke too, but then I would have to convince the customers of the benefit of disabling "pop3 before auth". Thats a security risk I want to eliminate anyway.
It would good because based on spamdyke I could add additional features in the future. For now I would only enable DNSBL.
I will think about it, but spamdyke seems like the best solution.