qmail-scanner doesn't uninstall cleanly

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

qmail-scanner doesn't uninstall cleanly

Unread post by breun »

I just used yum to remove qmail-scanner (and spamassassin) on a server, but after that sending e-mail didn't work anymore. Using the mail command returned:
qmail-inject: fatal: qq temporary problem (#4.3.0)
and /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog said:
qmail-queue-handlers[12369]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted
I opted for just reinstalling the psa-qmail package, which solved this problem, but I feel that I shouldn't have had to do that. Uninstalling qmail-scanner should leave me with a working mail setup.

P.S. Messages sent after uninstalling qmail-scanner still contain headers like this:
Received: from <XXXX> by <XXXX> (envelope-from <XXXX>, uid 2020) with qmail-scanner-2.08st (clamdscan: 0.96.1/11202. spamassassin: 3.2.5. perlscan: 2.08st. Clear:RC:0(XXXX):SA:0(-2.6/3.0):. Processed in 2.013068 secs); 17 Jun 2010 12:18:47 -0000
I feel qmail-scanner is still not totally uninstalled cleanly. Where should I look next?
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
lfenison
Forum User
Forum User

Re: qmail-scanner doesn't uninstall cleanly

Unread post by lfenison »

I just had the same problem and was stuck reinstalling qmail-scanner to get my mail going again.

Qmail-scanner would be great if it just added clamav scanning but instead it has a mind of it's own and starts messing with subject lines and deleting messages rather than just leaving that up to spamassassin. Not something I want on my system!

If anyone finds a clean way to remove it and still have a running mail server, I would love to hear about it. Right now qmail-scanner is holding me hostage and removing it is a disaster.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: qmail-scanner doesn't uninstall cleanly

Unread post by breun »

You can control qmail-scanner's behavior by editing /etc/qmail-scanner.ini (which is documented in-line) and running qmail-scanner-reconfigure afterwards. And there's http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/ which also has documentation.

As I explained above: you can uninstall qmail-scanner and reinstall psa-qmail to get rid of qmail-scanner. Reinstalling psa-qmail shouldn't be necessary, but it was in my case (which is why I started this thread).
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management