Monitor and notify of email floods?

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
catch22media
Forum User
Forum User

Monitor and notify of email floods?

Unread post by catch22media »

Anyone know of a script/app that monitors incoming mail and can notify when a flood is detected? Would be similar to BFD for APF.

I have one customer in particular who receives 300+ spam per day that is not getting picked up by spamassassin for some bloody reason. I've got dcc/pyzor/razor, as current rules as possible, and its well trained. Also using spamhaus/spamcob DNSBL and greylisting ... so who knows.

The emails they receive seem to come in chunks from the same domain, then it switches to another domain, so I'd like to setup something to monitor incoming mail at the server level and notify me when X amount of emails come in from the same domain, within a X amount of time ...

I could do it by forwarding emails to a PHP script, but that would be very CPU intensive... even more so I beleive.

Anyhow - any suggestions would be great.

Luke
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Monitor and notify of email floods?

Unread post by scott »

policyd in postfix might do what you want there. It would allow you to put quotas on sending mail by the user, or the domain.
prupert
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Monitor and notify of email floods?

Unread post by prupert »

We use monitoring scripts that periodically perform some simple greps with line counts in the mail logs. In our integrated monitoring setup (using Zenoss) we have set up RRD graphs, thresholds and notifications.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management