ART spamassassin Update

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ART spamassassin Update

Unread post by BruceLee »

Hi,

I'm curios to know if the update is included int he ART package which is mentioned in the wiki.
I'm asking because its stated at the beginning but I can't find this crontab.
Thanks
The ART spamassassin package already does this, if you are not using our RPMs then you will need to setup updates manually.

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/Spamassassin
5. (Optional) Setup spamassassin updates in your root crontab

You can also setup your system to do this automatically and safely. Using crontab and the example commands below will setup sa-update to download update and only when an update is downloaded and is sucessful will the system recompile and restart spamassassin. If there are any errors spamassasin will not be restarted and the system will continue to function normally and safely.

Run this command as root to setup the crontab:

crontab -e

Then add the line below:

<MINUTE> <HOUR> * * * sa-update --allowplugins --gpgkey D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10 --channel saupdates.openprotect.com --channel updates.spamassassin.org && TMP=/root/tmp; export TMP; TMPDIR=$TMP; export TMPDIR; /usr/bin/sa-compile && /etc/init.d/spamassassin condrestart 1> /dev/null

And change <MINUTE> and <HOUR> to numerical values representing the time when you want the update to run, 13 2 for example would be 2:13 AM. Pick your own time so that you are not running your updates at the same time as everyone else (or all of your boxes).
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: ART spamassassin Update

Unread post by faris »

I'm 99% sure the equivalent of sa-update gets regularly run automatically after installing the atomic rpm. I'm sure I saw a cron task for it somewhere, and I didn't add it myself.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I use the CentOS spamassassin package instead of the one in the Atomic repository, because these days CentOS (5 and 6) comes with SpamAssassin 3.3.1, while the Atomic package is still at version 3.2.5. Yum installs the Atomic package by default though, because its epoch version is higher. I don't know why this is the case, but I exclude spamassassin from Atomic in yum configurations for this reason and install the package from the CentOS repository.

Both the CentOS and the Atomic spamassassin packages contain /etc/cron.d/sa-update which updates SpamAssassin's rules daily.

The remark on the wiki about adding saupdates.openprotect.com is outdated, since that channel has been retired. http://saupdates.openprotect.com/ says: "OpenProtect' SpamAssassin sa-update channel is obsolete since SARE stopped updating their rulesets. Please stop using this channel." I've added two notes to the wiki page about this.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

Ye gods -- I'd not realised that. Thanks for pointing it out Breun.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

thanks for pointing that out. I will have to review my spamassassin config.
Any reason why ART's package is not at 3.3.1?
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I've previously brought this up in this post: http://www.atomicorp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5404 Atomic does have a SpamAssassin 3.3.1 package, but it's only available from the atomic-testing repository.

Actually SpamAssassin 3.3.2 was released a year ago.

One more thing: the spamassassin package from CentOS comes with /etc/cron.d/sa-update, but you'll need to uncomment the last line in that file or it won't update your rules automatically.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

thanks for the info.good to know. Are there any differences regarding the config?
like dcc and razor etc where installed&confiured by ART's one automatically.
Thanks Breun
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

The dcc, pyzor and razor-agents packages from Atomic work out of the box with the spamassassin package from CentOS as well.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

wonderful. thanks a lot.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Whaddayaknow? :)
@atomicturtle wrote:[atomic] update spamassassin 3.3.2 - update for ‪#centos‬, ‪#cloudlinux‬, ‪#redhat‬ and ‪#fedora‬
http://twitter.com/atomicturtle/status/ ... 1638392832
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

it's MAGIC :D
spaceout
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by spaceout »

I'm getting the following problem when trying to update...
Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/bin/spfquery from install of perl-Mail-SPF-2.006-1.el5.art.noarch conflicts with file from package psa-spf2-1.2.9-10071608.i386
Any advice on the safest way to proceed?