Spam relayed through backup mail server

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
Choji
Forum User
Forum User

Spam relayed through backup mail server

Unread post by Choji »

Hi,

I have a problem that some spammers are sending mail to me through a third party, backup mail server.
This server doesn't have much of spam control and I have no way to configure it.
Any ideas for ways to improve the rules on spamassassin that runs on my own mail server to prevent these spams from getting through?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Spam relayed through backup mail server

Unread post by scott »

You do the usual stuff already? (dcc, razor, dcc, etc)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

There's a spamassassin plugin that can add X to the score if it wasn't relayed through the primary MX. I could never get it to work properly, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. Might be worth looking for an update to that.

This third-party backup mailserver....I take it that it is listed as a mailserver in one of the domains hosted on your server's DNS records? Some spammers use the lowest priority (highest number) MX record, so you can add a third MX that's your server again to help prevent that, or add some blackhole MX records (some DNSBL providers offer such things as a way to catch spammers), or do both. This won't always work - I've noticed that some spammers try ALL MX records.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
Choji
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Choji »

I didn't get around to configure Spamassassin for this, but I managed to filter these spams out before they got through the MTA using Spamdyke. I'd been using Spamdyke before but I realised some of the spam rules had been turned off. Re-enabling them seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks anyway!