Using ARTs spamassassin with psa-spamassassin

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
accend
Forum User
Forum User

Using ARTs spamassassin with psa-spamassassin

Unread post by accend »

Hi everyone,

I intend to use ART's virus & spam solution (clamd & spamassasin 3.1-4) for my servers (instead of drweb and swsoft's spamassassin 2.6).

On the virus side, i have no doubt that clamav is way better solution than dr.web. So i have no problems there. Just one question:

1) does the "yum install qmail-scanner" setup a cronjob for automatic virus definition updates? if it does... how often are these updates?

On the spam detection side, i LOVE how psa-spamassassin INTEGRATES with Plesk. (specially the spam filter training screen). I would love to keep this functionality, so:

2) Is it possible to use ART's spamassassin (3.1) with the plesk integration? If this is possible, what steps should be taken to achieve this? What should I install first? (im using a clean server that can be reloaded from scratch if necesarry). Should i install the psa-spamassassin, then run the yum install, reconfigure scripts, restart everything?

3) If integration is not possible, does anyone know of a way to give clients the ability to train spamassassin? Or should it be left un-touched and let it learn by itself?

By the way, im testing everything on clean servers (no real clients there) so i can basically mess up and re-install everything without worries (using VPSs). So, i can try different stuff - won't mind really. As soon as i find a "winning" combination I will deploy it to the rest of production servers. VPSs run Virtuozzo templates for RHAS3, Plesk 7.5.4.

Thanks everyone,
ACCEND
Internet Estrategico
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

clamav will check for updates twice daily, no extra steps required. qmail-scanner doesn't have any kind of control panel integration, however if you configure SA to store settings in mysql (including bayes and awl) my squirrelmail rpm can integrate with that, or you can use any other third party app that can do it. There are all sorts of them out there, some standalone, others that integrate with horde or squirrel.
accend
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by accend »

so... do you suggest that i go ahead and install version 3.1 of SA? From your own experience, what will customers like the most: the panel integration of SA 2.6 or better spam detection of SA3.1?

I've tried to understand a few posts that tell mention some level of integration with the psa-spamassassin? Does this actually work or will it bring more problems and unusual behaviour?

thanks
ACCEND
Internet Estrategico
scott

Unread post by scott »

I think the concept of spam training is beyond anyone but a power user.
accend
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by accend »

true true... and considering that just a very small percentage are real power users i guess i'll go ahead with better spam detection and leave the training to those who really understand what it's all about.

thanks again,
ACCEND
Internet Estrategico