Upgrade PHP4 to PHP5 under Plesk 8.6 (upgraded from 8.0.1)

Support/Development for PHP
reuben.olsen
New Forum User
New Forum User

Upgrade PHP4 to PHP5 under Plesk 8.6 (upgraded from 8.0.1)

Unread post by reuben.olsen »

I've spent most of the night trying to figure this out. Read many posts and it appears to be possible but no one actually explains what they did to make it work.

I need to upgrade from PHP 4.3.9 as originally installed on a RHEL4 box running Plesk 8.0.1. I updated to Plesk 8.6 through the control panel and all went well but now I need to get it to PHP 5.2.6. I have installed the Atomic yum package and it all seems to work but I get a couple errors that halt the upgrade:

Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
php-domxml-4.3.9-3.22.12 requires php = 4.3.9-3.22.12
php-pear-4.3.9-3.22.12 requires php = 4.3.9-3.22.12
php-sqlite2-1.0.2-200608291859 requires php <= 4.4.0

I've read that I can use an --exclude to ignore these packages - at least the php-domxml - but that doesn't help. Others have said to yum remove php-domxml but that won't work either since it wants to remove half of the plesk install as well since they are dependent on php-domxml.

So, where can I go from here? Any suggestions? I'm under the gun on this one so any quick replies will be appreciated.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
reuben.olsen
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by reuben.olsen »

Thanks for the reply - however, it seems to be the standard reply to everyone who has ever had this issue. The problem is that the page you reference says nothing about how to solve it. It has 5 steps... but I cannot get past step number 2. PHP will not upgrade due to a dependency issue with php-domxml. The wiki page says nothing of this and is written with the assumption that each of the 5 steps will complete without issue.

So... has anyone found a way to successfully update PHP4 to PHP5 on a RHEL4 box with Plesk 8.6 as an upgrade from 8.0.1 (meaning that is was not a fresh PSA8.6 install but an upgrade - so underlying packages associated with a full install were not upgraded at the same time). I'm assuming that this is the problem. PSA seems to have a dependency on the php-domxml which is incompatible with PHP 5.2.6 resulting in a failed install.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't mind writing a full how-to as soon as I can get this resolved - hopefully resulting in a lot fewer posts about these dependency issues.
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

I'm sorry, I was pretty sure that wiki page mentioned php-domxml, but apparently I was wrong.
PSA seems to have a dependency on the php-domxml which is incompatible with PHP 5.2.6 resulting in a failed install.
AFAIK Plesk doesn't have a dependency on php-domxml. However, there is no php-domxml package in PHP 5. The XML package for PHP 5 is called php-xml. You should be able to remove php-domxml and install php-xml afterwards.
I wouldn't mind writing a full how-to as soon as I can get this resolved
Better idea: update the wiki if it works.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management