5 Reasons To Bring Back ASL-Lite Or Alternative

Customer support forums for the modsecurity rules feed. There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using the real time modsecurity rules feed. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious.
sOliver
Forum User
Forum User

5 Reasons To Bring Back ASL-Lite Or Alternative

Unread post by sOliver »

Dear Atomicorp,

there are many customers who do not need the full ASL and prefer the liteweight ASL-Rules Only (ASL-LITE). Here Are 5 reasons to bring it back

1) Small Business: ASL is more expensive than ASL-Lite - you are hurting your bottom line by removing support for ASL-Lite
2) There are still more than enough ASL-Lite / Rules Only Customers that would happily shell out money for this, so you can easily justify the expenses (SEE HERE https://www.atomicorp.com/forums/viewto ... 014#p40014)

3) ASL requires a kernel upgrade, system admins are often reluctant to making big changes to a running system (it takes time and if something goes wrong it can get expensive). I'm strictly speaking about small business here
4) You already have a product that only requires a small upgrade to attract a lot more small customers. By ignoring the small customers you are hurting your bottom line (see 1)
5) Asl-Lite supposedly requires little maintenance and many customers would just be happy about automatic rules retrieval

In any case, you are losing money and customers. I for one know that I would easily shell out $300-$500 per year if you had a decent way to retrieve the rules automatically rather than upgrading to ASL

Please consider my request and I would be happy to see a comeback or possibly another improved lite-weight alternative
hostingg
Forum User
Forum User

Re: 5 Reasons To Bring Back ASL-Lite Or Alternative

Unread post by hostingg »

3) ASL requires a kernel upgrade, system admins are often reluctant to making big changes to a running system (it takes time and if something goes wrong it can get expensive). I'm strictly speaking about small business here
Not sure why you think that, I dont use the ASL kernel with asl, and it says you dont need it in their faq
Will ASL replace core components of my system?

No. ASL will install additional software on your system, and will not replace anything, including the kernel.
1) Small Business: ASL is more expensive than ASL-Lite - you are hurting your bottom line by removing support for ASL-Lite
I for one know that I would easily shell out $300-$500 per year if you had a decent way to retrieve the rules automatically rather than upgrading to ASL
You do realize ASL is cheaper than $300-$500 a year right?
If everything was easy, then the world wouldn't need engineers.
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: 5 Reasons To Bring Back ASL-Lite Or Alternative

Unread post by mikeshinn »