php unseralize() causing slow down in php 4.3.10..

Support/Development for PHP
Brent
Forum User
Forum User

php unseralize() causing slow down in php 4.3.10..

Unread post by Brent »

from vBulletin developers:
Performance Hit Since PHP 4.3.10 / 5.0.3

Many people have noticed that vBulletin (any a lot of other PHP applications) suddenly started to run significantly slowed than normal after installing PHP 4.3.10 or 5.0.3 in order to patch the security flaw in previous versions of PHP.

This cause of this slow-down has been identified as a problem with the unserialize() function in PHP. For more details, see bugs.php.net.

This problem has now been fixed by the PHP developers, though the fixed version has yet to be released in a 'stable' version. However, the latest CVS snapshots of PHP 4.3.x and 5.0.x, available from snaps.php.net contain the fix and restore the original speed of unserialize().

While we would not recommend running a 'dev' version of PHP on any production server, we understand that the performance problem has been a major issue for some people. If you are badly affected, you may want to consider running a 'dev' version of PHP at your own risk in order to overcome the performance problem.
I guess they are going to release a 4.3.11 to fix this? They have a dev snap up

How long until after it is made stable do you think that we will have a art update for it?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

I can generally get an rpm done the same day, assuming I notice its been put out! :P
Brent
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by Brent »

Cool I'll be sure to make known its relase :) My site suffers from the bug performance wise yet I dont want to fall back on 4.3.9 and be open to security risks