Plesk & Postfix

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
moondog604
Forum User
Forum User

Plesk & Postfix

Unread post by moondog604 »

Hello,

I am trying to find some good newb documentation. I don't mind reading but some answers and pushes in the right direction would be way better :lol:

Basically I have a CentOS 5 dedicated server running Plesk 9.3 with multiple IP's, and I want to maximize my mail delivery potential by using Postfix to mail out using the IP of the domain the the email is coming from instead of the servers default IP.

Just to give example:

Currently I have my server working similar to this (fake IP's and domains of course)

user@domain1.tld sends from 1.1.1.1
user@domain2.tld sends from 1.1.1.1

But would like it to be
user@domain1.tld sends from 2.1.1.1
user@domain2.tld sends from 2.1.1.2
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Plesk & Postfix

Unread post by BruceLee »

I think what you trying to achieve is quite difficult due to the fact you have to create for every IP a new instance of postfix.
But I'm not that familiar with postfix. And you would have to configure it without Plesk.
you can use smtp_bind_address if you want postifx to use another IP, but that setting is global.
Maybe someone more postfix advanced person can help you better.
moondog604
Forum User
Forum User

Reading into some stuff I think the proper thing I am wishing to set is the "Mailserver Greeting" to match my domains mx record. Then they can do a rDNS on the MX record and have it matched.

That would probably be the way to go to improve delivery through ISP spam filters, correct?
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Since plesk postfix and qmail will always send via one ("default") IP you need to set the hostname to match the pointer resource record from your hosting company or vice versa. All domains will send email via this hostname, and as long servername and ptr record matches, it's fine.
That's normal behaviour on shared hosting environments.
moondog604
Forum User
Forum User

Thank you for the information. I just moved servers within the same provider, seems they neglected to set up the reverse DNS on the default IP. Hopefully the excess of undelivered mail is fixed by this.

I'm a one man tech show and it seems lately every week some thing new I know nothing about pops up :)

Thanks again.
BruceLee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

a really good place to check for dns related stuff is dnsstuff.com or any other dns check tool or the command line via brain of course :)
aus-city
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by aus-city »

I looked at similar using the specific IPs to the domains. You do need to run multiple instances of postfix for outgoing.

Also you have to run multiple instances incoming to get the correct helo.

In the end I just run single postfix, it's much easier and cause you less PSA headaches.
moondog604
Forum User
Forum User

Thank you for the added input.