before using the qmail-scanner ?

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

before using the qmail-scanner ?

Unread post by nobody »

I wanted to write this post in order others don't have the same luck with me on that issue.

Opinions are personal and maybe I am wrong. Neither am I an expert.

I will start by saying that if you aren't an expert with mail servers and specifically with the plesk's "long story" of qmail etc, don't install qmail scanner.
I installed it on one server...
From the moment that I did so I regret the time. Wish my finger had twisted the time I pressed the return key in the keyboard instead of pressing the button.
*I am using the stable tree of atomic.

Since then I've had so many problems with it. I am not able to even have a descent mail server working on that box.
All the time problems. Once its the mime.
Then there are 30 emails coming from ossec with logs about the mail server...
Then some utf-8 emails get broken or a file is "twisted"-> (I found that on a text file that I sent the first character had changed from # to ?) (still haven't found a solution to that by the way)... AND its not that simple since the ? was on a config file resulting a crash on the service it was pasted. Offcourse we saw and corrected it but .... its a huge problem this whole thing.
Also the "coolest" part is that you might be sending emails and you never know if they were rejected by qmail scanner unless you go and check the mail log for "BAD".

The worst of all things is that you can't actually remove it. Because if you do. SMTP stops functioning. end of story, bye bye...

I ve tried any remedy I found on the net...
I even removed and reinstalled qmail, switched to postfix and back to qmail, executed some plesk commands that are supposed to fix broken smtps ...
Now offcourse I have removed spamassasin from the option of the clients and server wide support because together they were causing more problems.
If you remove qmail scanner ... Thats it. No more mailing.

qmail scanner is now the p*** of my mail services in that box.

Extremely dissapointed with that. :evil:
I've been haunted by the qmail scanner programm for a month or so now.

I don't understand why atomic has it in the stable tree and not the testing.
I also don't know if someone else experienced the exact same issues.

If someone can add something to that thats gonna be great.

You can take a look at the errors as well that come in a "family pack quantity" in my email as well:

Code: Select all

Error No 1 :
Nov 26 02:16:13 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [the.serverhost.tld12907305637905863] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [61] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error No 2 :
Received From: server->/var/log/psa/maillog
Rule: 1002 fired (level 2) -> "Unknown problem somewhere in the system."
Portion of the log(s):

Nov 26 13:31:39 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [the.serverhost.tld12907710957909302] mail server permanently rejected message. (#5.3.0) - Illegal seek 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error No 3 (before turning off spamassasin on the server):
Received From: server->/var/log/psa/maillog
Portion of the log(s):

Nov  9 10:22:58 server spamd[19598]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.plesk.19598 for /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory 

Last edited by nobody on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello IT.
Phone : Blah Blah ....
Have you tried turning it on and off again ?
I'm sorry, are you from the Past ?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4fm4Wqego
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: before using the qmail-scanner ?

Unread post by biggles »

Really don't know why you are writing this rant in here. If you want help, don't hesitate to ask. But starting with bashing a product known to work perfectly well on, what I would guess, thousands of servers handling millions of e-mails is kinda counter productive and definitely won't get you as much attention as your problem deserves. Anyway, personally I am sorry to hear yo are having trouble and will gladly try to help you with the parts I have knowledge about.

Starting from number 2. This is an ossec message. There is an ossec rule that triggers on what it feels is an error, which in this case it does correctly. There is a mail error and you then get a report from it. Isn't that great? If you don't want to know when your mail isn't working (why have you then installed a monitoring solution?) Do a search on the forum for "Rule: 1002" and you will find a solution to turn all or some of them off.

The original error from question 1 seems to be a Plesk issue and has nothing to do with Qmail-Scanner. There are solutions on this forum and on Parallels forum.

The third error is a spamassassin error. Have you tried your spamassassin installation and checked out that it is working? Qmail-Scanner is using spamassassin for spam hunting and spamasassin isn't working, neither will Qmail-Scanner. Can't really blame Qmail-Scanner for that, can you? Impossible to say what the exact problem is, but I would start by turning of the bayes filter. The main problem is probably related to ownership and directories. I found this http://www.kriyayoga.com/love_blog/post.php/991 link, but I don't know at all if it's a good fix for your problem. Might be useful for tracking down the problem though.

I must finish by stating that Qmail-Scanner is a great product, and without it my servers would hardly be alive anymore!
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I agree with Biggles - I don't think any of the problems you mention in the logs are anything to do with qmail-scanner. It is impossible to tell for sure, of course, but to me they look like known (and eventually resolved) Plesk 9.x problems. The third one is a small issue that you can ignore if you want, and is related to spamassassin perms. I've seen in many times. It is no big deal and doesn't stop email flowing or even spamassassin from working.

All I can tell you is that I've installed qmail-scanner....I've lost count how many times on how many systems .... and never had any problems.

The combination of qmail, clamav, spamassassin, qmail-scanner and spamdyke give me almost every feature I could possibly want in terms of email. I love it.

As for uninstalling qmail-scanner, there have been reports of problem with this.
Have a look here: https://atomicorp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4240 for an example. It looks as though you just need to re-install psa-qmail after removing qmail-scanner, however.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

Truth is that I really am angry with the qmail scanner.

I am even more angry with the fact that postfix won't run normally in a plesk box as well.
We have a postfix server installed for 8 years now in an openbsd server taking all configurations from mysql.
In 8 years we had ZERO problems or weird log messages. and I mean ZERO.

So. After parallels managed to make the impossible and break postfix I switched to qmail. And because I don't trust qmail to be honest I though of installing the qmail scanner.

But it has caused noumerous problems.

And I wouldn't post it for no reason and before I hadn't tested it for a month.

You showed me a thread with people that have the exact same problem. Even though when I reinstalled qmail problem remained. Except if they did it with some other way. I did it through plesks api by switching agents from qmail to postfix and back.

Currently qmail is breaking my encoding in emails which is terrible. Does anyone know why this is happening ??

I have at least sorted out the problem in which I couldn't even send an email.
I have disabled spamassasin because I was again loosing messaging when both were enabled.
And when I say loosing messages I refer to legit messages. Even my emails !

I would be more than happy if someone has managed to succesfully remove it and tell me exactly what he did to accomplish that.
Or you are also more than welcome to send me a configuration that you have in your own scanner and you are 100% sure that it is working actually !

Thanks guys

Regards
Hello IT.
JnascECSI
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by JnascECSI »

Nobody,
I feel your fustration on the qmail-scanner issue because i also had a major issue's with it in the beginning and still have one left over issue that i have never got resolved. I followed one of the tips here in the forums to get it working finally and i can't seemed to find the post that i followed now but i'm still looking for it to show you. In the end i got rid of all the same issues except this one below which i get almost 500 of them a day and sucks.

I had to block this OSSEC Notification Alert level 2 message at the mail server and dump them into a junk box with a rule so not to fill my mail box up all day long and then go back daily and go thru them to make sure i'm not missing something important on the level 2 alert's that is different than this specific alert. If you figure this one out let me know i'd love to get rid of this once and for all.

OSSEC HIDS Notification.
2010 Nov 27 07:24:19

Received From: xxxxx-x->/var/log/psa/maillog
Portion of the log(s):

Nov 27 07:24:17 xxxxx-x spamd[4172]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.xxxxx-x.xxxxxxxxxxx.com.4172 for /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory 

--END OF NOTIFICATION
James Nascimento
Chief Information Officer
East Commerce Solutions, Inc.
22 Morris Lane
East Providence, RI 02914
Ph. 800-527-5395 x263
Fax. 888-999-5891
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Does this directory exist:
/var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/

and is it writable by the spamd user?
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

Thank you JnascECSI.

I know I can't be the only one having problems with the qmail scanner. I am not crazy.
I found on the internet at least 100 posts with very angry people with qmail scanner as well.

The error that you get with spamassasin , when I had the same error this resolved in legit emails not coming inside. So I had to switch off from plesk the spamasssin server wide protection.
I don't think its just a harmless error ...

Apart from the virus scan I don't see what more has to offer except from around 20 different problems. And with the virusscan now I have another problem as well. It messes up with the attachment files !!!

And my biggest issue is how to remove it and my mail server to be functional again.

I really believe also that it shouldn't have been by the guys in the stable repository. This thing trully aint stable according to my opinion.
I'd really like to hear the opinion of Scott and Mke who are experts.

Offtopic :
And the fact that many people are using it on the net doesn't mean a lot to me.
Because in the same sense people also use microsoft server's without a firewall in front of them on the internet or exchange mail servers.
This means that we should all copy what everyone else is using even if it's proven to be bad ? ...
On the other hand we are all using Plesk ...
And we clearly do it because we don't want to lose the "plesk mentality" customers. Not because its good.

We have allready started building our own cp (for private use) because it takes so much time to debug or find a solutions to problems with plesk and other control panels that it really isn't worth it. And your system aint clean at all. You really have no idea on whats going on in your own system.

Offcourse I need to continue using plesk servers becaue of the dedicated or managed dedicated I provide customers with.

At least we have ASL to cover us ! A very nice work.

JnascECSI wrote:Nobody,
I feel your fustration on the qmail-scanner issue because i also had a major issue's with it in the beginning and still have one left over issue that i have never got resolved. I followed one of the tips here in the forums to get it working finally and i can't seemed to find the post that i followed now but i'm still looking for it to show you. In the end i got rid of all the same issues except this one below which i get almost 500 of them a day and sucks.

I had to block this OSSEC Notification Alert level 2 message at the mail server and dump them into a junk box with a rule so not to fill my mail box up all day long and then go back daily and go thru them to make sure i'm not missing something important on the level 2 alert's that is different than this specific alert. If you figure this one out let me know i'd love to get rid of this once and for all.

OSSEC HIDS Notification.
2010 Nov 27 07:24:19

Received From: xxxxx-x->/var/log/psa/maillog
Portion of the log(s):

Nov 27 07:24:17 xxxxx-x spamd[4172]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.xxxxx-x.xxxxxxxxxxx.com.4172 for /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory 

--END OF NOTIFICATION
Hello IT.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

scott wrote:Does this directory exist:
/var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/

and is it writable by the spamd user?
Mine looks like that :
drwx------ 2 popuser popuser 4096 Nov 9 14:06 .spamassassin

and inside the files are :
-rw-r----- 1 popuser popuser

------------------

Scott can you please tell me how to get rid of qmail-scanner ?
Any ideas ?

Thanks !
Hello IT.
scott

Unread post by scott »

Well there ya go then, its spamd probably isnt running as popuser. To your latter question, yum remove qmail-scanner.
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

I appreciate your frustration, I don't see any errors that are caused by qmail-scanner, they are all either known bugs in Parallels psa-qmail or permissions problems, specific notes below:
Error No 1 :
Nov 26 02:16:13 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [NOYB.tld12907305637905863] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [61] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek
Known Plesk bug. qmail-queue is not part of qmail-scanner, its part of Plesks psa-qmail package. This is the same problem as error #2 below which has been discussed before on the forums, and Parallels has a patch for this bug in their software:

https://www.atomicorp.com/forums/viewto ... +by#p22649

http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php ... stcount=51
Nov 26 13:31:39 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [NOYB12907710957909302] mail server permanently rejected message. (#5.3.0) - Illegal seek
Same issue as #1, Plesk bug, which has been discussed previously here:

Its caused by a bug in Plesks qmail, and heres one of their patches for this:

Nov 9 10:22:58 server spamd[19598]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.NOYB.19598 for /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
That means you are running spamd as a different user from qmail, so the .spamassassin folder is probably only by the wrong user. Its an error you can ignore if you want, it just means the auto-whitelist and bayes may not work correctly. It won't break your mail one little bit if you get this error, its fail safe and you can ignore it. If you want auto-whitelisting and bayes to work you need to make sure that directory is writable by whatever use you are running spamd as - and this is not caused by qmail-scanner. This is a spammassasin error.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

scott wrote:Well there ya go then, its spamd probably isnt running as popuser. To your latter question, yum remove qmail-scanner.
Thanks for replying. If you yum remove qmail-scanner then you get an qq 451 error mail server temporarilly unavailable in the outlook and also mails from the php mailer function cant be sent.
That's the big problem.
I switched from plesk to postfix and back to qmail in order to solve this issue but still the error was there so I had to reinstall qmail scanner in order qmail could send emails !
Thats what the other guys exactly also mention. I have even opened a support ticket for that.
I can't remove qmail-scanner :cry:
Hello IT.
nobody
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by nobody »

mikeshinn wrote:I appreciate your frustration, I don't see any errors that are caused by qmail-scanner, they are all either known bugs in Parallels psa-qmail or permissions problems, specific notes below:
Error No 1 :
Nov 26 02:16:13 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [the.serverhost.tld12907305637905863] Unable to close pipe to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig [61] (#4.3.0) - Illegal seek
Known Plesk bug. qmail-queue is not part of qmail-scanner, its part of Plesks psa-qmail package. This is the same problem as error #2 below which has been discussed before on the forums, and Parallels has a patch for this bug in their software:

Nov 26 13:31:39 plesk X-Qmail-Scanner-2.08st: [the.serverhost.tld12907710957909302] mail server permanently rejected message. (#5.3.0) - Illegal seek
Same issue as #1, Plesk bug, which has been discussed previously here:

Its caused by a bug in Plesks qmail, and heres one of their patches for this:

Nov 9 10:22:58 server spamd[19598]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.plesk.19598 for /var/qmail/mailnames///.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
That means you are running spamd as a different user from qmail, so the .spamassassin folder is probably only by the wrong user. Its an error you can ignore if you want, it just means the auto-whitelist and bayes may not work correctly. It won't break your mail one little bit if you get this error, its fail safe and you can ignore it. If you want auto-whitelisting and bayes to work you need to make sure that directory is writable by whatever use you are running spamd as - and this is not caused by qmail-scanner. This is a spammassasin error.
Thanks Mike.

I will apply the patches and get back to you and the other guys on how it went.
Also should I change spamassasin to run as popuser instead of spamd ?

Thanks.
Last edited by nobody on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello IT.
JnascECSI
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Not sure if i'm looking at this correctly and if this is even the correct output, what command would i use to fix it so it's running under the proper user?

[xxxxxxxx@xxx-1 ~]# ls -l /var/qmail/mailnames/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/testemailaccount/.spamassassin/
total 4
-rw------- 1 popuser popuser 84 Nov 26 15:27 user_prefs
[xxxxxxxx@xxx-1 ~]# ps -AF |grep spamd
root      3266     1  0 40261 45648   0 Nov27 ?        00:00:06 /usr/bin/spamd - -username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max -children 5 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.so 
ck
root      4292  3641  0 15305   820   2 06:19 pts/0    00:00:00 grep spamd
popuser  26412  3266  0 41984 52400   3 00:33 ?        00:00:14 spamd child
popuser  30835  3266  0 42080 52784   0 04:30 ?        00:00:07 spamd child
[xxxxxxxx@xxx-1 ~]#
James Nascimento
22 Morris Lane
Ph. 800-527-5395 x263
Fax. 888-999-5891
JnascECSI
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I've been searched high and low everywhere to figure this out and have'nt found anything that explains on how to change spamd to run as popuser. But i was wondering if it's a problem having psa-spamassassin and art spamassassin w/qmail-scanner installed causing this. I found a old thread at parrahells forums that someone mentioned running psa version and art version was not a good idea but the thread seemed to die out with no further input.

I really want to keep the psa version because it lets our clients manage their own spam issue's and training but i also like having qmail-scanner also. The biggest problem has been that like others if i remove the art spamassasin and qmail-scanner all my clients get the qq error when sending mail which i know can get resolved by re-installing psa-qmail supposedly.

just wondering if it's a issue with spamd not running as popuser should'nt the install process cover this so not to happen in plesk enviorements. I just really want to get this stupid autowhitelist email to stop flooding my mailbox and have everything working nicey nice with each other. but have'nt found anything on how to change the spamd user to run as popuser.
James Nascimento
22 Morris Lane
Ph. 800-527-5395 x263
Fax. 888-999-5891
biggles
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by biggles »

As far as I know it is a BIG no-no to run psa-spamassassin and spamassassin on the same machine. Choose one of them. Personally I would never switch back from the one that hasn't been manipulated by Parallels...