updating to plesk 11

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
mist_firefly
Forum User
Forum User

updating to plesk 11

Unread post by mist_firefly »

We currently work on plesk 10 and we have done all the new updates from yum. We don't use custom themes and we don't have the Business and Customer Manager installed (as far as I've seen ..is there any way to check? )

I read the notes at:
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP ... ed-os.html

1. are there any other things I should know? I am very new at this(almost everything server related) and I want to be able to do this update without causing any problems to our clients that have domain hosting and emails on our server.
2. Do I just need to go on the control panel at Updates and Upgrades and then Install of Upgrade product and follow from there? Is there anything else I would need to do in putty/ command line?
3. Can I monitor what's happening by any other means?
4. Is there a step by step installation guide somewhere?
5. If something goes wrong how could I get back to the plesk 10 without loosing client data?
6. How long would the update take? Are the domain/ emails going to be down for that period of time?

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated (even just links to more research, basic things I should know )
mist_firefly
Forum User
Forum User

Re: updating to plesk 11

Unread post by mist_firefly »

Could anybody offer some advice on this please?

What could go wrong?
Should I backup all server first? How?
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: updating to plesk 11

Unread post by faris »

Have a look here before you start http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=209652
Not all (or even any) of the reported problem may apply. It is just going to be a list of things you need to check.

Also here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=245980
This is the pre-upgrade checker. It runs as part of the upgrade, but you can run it beforehand to find problems.

You can run the upgrade via the GUI, but it might be better to do it via the command line as you can see what's happening more clearly. There are plenty of logs. There's a KB which I can't find that points you to all the important logs. Sorry about not ebing able to find it though.

Backup first. There are loads of ways. At a minimum use Plesk's own backup facility. The problem with that is that you don't know if you will have a problem restoring until it is too late to do anything about it.
There's also http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=247563

Before upgrading I would personally disable psmon and also find the cron job that checks if psmon is running and restarts it if it not. The reason for this is that you don't want something restarting mysql, for example, or apache, when plesk is doing its thing and had deliberately restarted or shut down the process.

But you know, the best way to upgrade from 10 to 11 is via a Migration IMHO. That way you start with a nice clean sheet and you can go back to the way things were if it all goes pear-shaped. Yes, you need two servers, but only for a week or so. Once the dust has settled you can kill off the old one.

Remember that you have free technical support from Parallels if it does go wrong, as long as you purchased your key direct from them and it is a full key. CHECK BEFORE RELYING ON THIS.

Also keep in mind that Plesk 11.09 is NOT quite ready for mainstream IMHO. 98% or 99% of the issues have been sorted, but you still have those 2% to worry about. Also Plesk 11.1 is about to be released. This will have plenty of bugs initially though so you won't really want to go there just yet.

Why do you want to upgrade from 10 to 11 anyway?
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>