Plesk updater prompting me to install "php 5.3 support"

Support/Development for PHP
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Plesk updater prompting me to install "php 5.3 support"

Unread post by faris »

Oh oh. Something new is going on. I've not noticed this before. How do I handle it?

When accessing the Plesk updater (Plesk 10.4.4 / Centos 6 / Atomic php 5.3) just now, I was surprised to see the "Update Components" option was highlighted and clickable. On clicking on it, the updater was prompting me to install "php 5.3 support". This has never happened before.

I'm really concerned that when the next MU comes out I'm going to be forced to install this item, which if I remember correctly, basically causes the stock Centos php 5.3 to be installed.

Suggestions please? This is really worrying me now.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Plesk updater prompting me to install "php 5.3 support"

Unread post by breun »

Why do you think Plesk would force you to install their PHP 5.3 option? I don't believe there is a problem here.
Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by faris »

I discovered the solution to the problem, and the cause, but I think a tweak is required in the Plesk Updater.

Very simply, a new version of php (from the atomic repo) was available. And it was this that triggered the Plesk Updater to prompt me to install "php 5.3 support".

Although I did not do so, I'm reasonable sure that if I had clicked on the "php 5.3 support" in the Plesk Updater it would simply have updated php via the atomic repo, as opposed to doing something stupid, like installing whatever version of 5.3 is supplier with Centos 6 and messing things up.

But there is still a problem, in my opinion, with the actual message displayed. To me, "Install php 5.3 support" is not the same as "update your php 5.3 installation". In addition, I'm more used to the Plesk updater showing this option if you have 5.2 installed, or during initial installation when you have a choice of 5.2 or 5.3 from the particular linux distibution's repos.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
hostingguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by hostingguy »

Plus if you use x86_64 and eaccelerator you may have had a problem afterwards based on some of the other threads going around right now.