Site Number

Community support for Plesk, CPanel, WebMin and others with insight from two of the founders of Plesk. Ask for help here! No question is too simple or complicated. :-)
faris
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Re: Site Number

Unread post by faris »

Assuming the backup included everything then vz[a]restore can restore absolutely everything.

e.g. You create container 1111 with clean Centos 6. make a full backup. Install Plesk. Make another backup. Accidentally hose Container completely/delete everything within it/do something stupid within it/mess up Plesk. You can now restore from either of your two backups - either to go back to clean Centos or Clean Plesk. But this is not something to do without testing first to see how it works (and make sure it DOES work), OK?

About the queue getting bigger even though you restarted qmail - I think this is thing I was talking about, where the spammer is connected to a running qmail process and sending spam after spam.

Changing the password doesn't help because the spammer is already authenticated and connected, and still sending spam.

Restarting qmail doesn't help because it doesn't kill this already running process (arrgh!) so the spammer continues to send spam. You would see the spammer still connected on port 25 or 587 using netstat (match the connected IP with the source IP in a spam mail header found using qmhandle).

The only way to resolve this is to find the pid of the running qmail process and kill it manually, or just restart the Container.

If you run spamdyke, the process may be spamdyke-related as opposed to a qmail-related process.
--------------------------------
<advert>
If you want to rent a UK-based VPS that comes with friendly advice and support from a fellow ART fan, please get in touch.
</advert>
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Unread post by KrazyBob »

Thank you for the reply, Faris. I did as recommended and hired a management company that will help me on this - although we're still getting sendmail errors and similar via email.

Code: Select all

Cron <root@server102> run-parts /etc/cron.hourly

/etc/cron.hourly/sendmail:

sendmail: illegal option -- q
sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [ arg ... ]
and random password issues. But I did noting to the passwords unless

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk -v
did something.

I am working hard at resolving this on my own and I hope you all understand.
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I give up. The server management company offering 1 hour resolution apparently meant when they were awake LOL I am restoring from an older backup. In the process I viewed the users and found a whole bunch of empty passwords. Sheez. We live and learn. It seems that most of the passwords are plain text but not working. Most of them are clear text, just not working. If I write them back they work again. Some are older encrypted Ensim passwords. I am not gifted enough to take the password viewing script and tell it to update itself based on itself. If anyone would like to helpm whether I deserve it or not, here's thew code:

use psa;
select CONCAT(mail_name,"@",name) as email_address,accounts.password from mail left join domains on domains.id=mail.dom_id left join accounts on accounts.id=mail.account_id;
KrazyBob
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I located a good server management company that has proved quite helpful.

My most sincere thanks to those of you here that have tried to help. I know you've go your own stuff to handle.

Bob