Disabling a rule doesn't stop the notification?

Customer support forums for the modsecurity rules feed. There is no such thing as a bad question here as long as it pertains to using the real time modsecurity rules feed. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious.
optize
New Forum User
New Forum User

Disabling a rule doesn't stop the notification?

Unread post by optize »

Howdy -

I have the following line in a custom file:

SecRuleRemoveById 345402

However, I'm still getting that alert in my Apache error_logs:

[Sun Nov 03 21:30:33 2013] [error] [client x.x.x.x] ModSecurity: Warning. Match of "eq 1" against "&ARGS:CSRF_TOKEN" required. [file "/etc/modsecurity/rules/70_asl_csrf_experimental.conf"] [line "80"] [id "345402"] [msg "CSRF Attack Detected - Missing CSRF Token."] [hostname "x.x.x.x"] [uri "/info.php"]

Is it supposed to still alert even though you disable that rule, or is something else wrong?

Thanks!
mikeshinn
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Re: Disabling a rule doesn't stop the notification?

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Thanks for the question. So first, thank you for using our rules.

To disable a rule, make sure you use that directive after the rule has been loaded. If your SecRuleRemoveById 345402 comes before the rule is loaded it wont have any effect.

Second, that rule is part of the experimental CSRF protection rules. Unless you're comfortable tuning those rules by hand, you probably dont want to use them.
optize
New Forum User
New Forum User

Unread post by optize »

mikeshinn wrote:Thanks for the question. So first, thank you for using our rules.

To disable a rule, make sure you use that directive after the rule has been loaded. If your SecRuleRemoveById 345402 comes before the rule is loaded it wont have any effect.

Second, that rule is part of the experimental CSRF protection rules. Unless you're comfortable tuning those rules by hand, you probably dont want to use them.
Thanks for the quick response! Greatly appreciated.

I don't remember which tutorial I used, but it said just to do include /etc/modsecurity/rules/*.conf, so it's including all rules.

Do you suggest I manually add each include instead, or is there an easier way to skip the 'experimental' rules?
mikeshinn

Unread post by mikeshinn »

Yeah, you dont want to load all the rules. There are rules in there that are different "versions" of the same rules. This is the tutorial you want to follow:

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.ph ... rity_Rules

And yes, you want to load rule files individually. Heres the basic set we recommend for most users, but do read the whole article as it explains what each ruleset does as the defaults may not be appropriate for your needs.

https://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.ph ... m_rulesets