Plesk 9.2.2 QMail

General Discussion of atomic repo and development projects.

Ask for help here with anything else not covered by other forums.
cert-i-fiable
New Forum User
New Forum User

Plesk 9.2.2 QMail

Unread post by cert-i-fiable »

Hi all;

I've been lurking for some time now since I found ART. Today I ended up with a problem I can't seem to resolve and thought maybe the gurus here might have some advice.

First I had "had being the operative term" a good working install of Plesk 9.2.1 on a Linux machine with SpamDyke running. Today I upgraded qmail using the autoinstaller in shell. After the install I went and re-enabled spamdyke and realized that qmail was no longer running but postfix was. I removed postfix and tried to re-install qmail but plesk is being stubborn about it.

Is there a way to define which smtp service plesk is running? I've tried removing postfix and installing qmail again but that doesn't seem to fix it. Rebooting the machine does nothing but fire up postfix again even after it's uninstalled which is amazing to me. This has to be in the plesk configuration I'm thinking.

Any advice so that I can get back to a qmail/spamdyke config would be terrific.

Thanks in advance.
cert-i-fiable
New Forum User
New Forum User

Re: Plesk 9.2.2 QMail

actually after reading up on this subject I'm not sure I want to go back to qmail ... but

i really enjoyed the greylisting of spamdyke and the reliability of the spam blocking. so what can I use with postfix that will give me the same type of spam blocking and greylisting as spamdyke did with qmail?

breun
Long Time Forum Regular
Long Time Forum Regular

Unread post by breun »

Lemonbit Internet Dedicated Server Management
cert-i-fiable
New Forum User
New Forum User

Something is really wrong.

My current installation only has qmail installed. Using either the autoinstaller or the plesk binary option 15 for qmail is (=) for no updates required.

mailmng reports

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mailmng --features | grep SMTP_Server
$features['SMTP_Server'] = "Postfix";
$features['SMTP_Server_package'] = "postfix";

Option 16 in the installer for postfix is ( ) blank for not installed and I confirmed postfix is not an installed component

yum search postfix

Now the KB says you should be able to switch between the two MTAs but what I'm finding is that there's no removing one or the other mta (read: I can select and install both mtas on the server) it defaults to postfix I *assume* because of the $features setting the mta postfix as grep'd in mainmng.

Thanks for the KB referrence it was actually in my reads yesterday.

Thoughts? Ideas?
danliker
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by danliker »

sackerman
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by sackerman »

I would be very careful about running Postfix with Plesk 9.2.2 there is a confirmed bug regarding forwards and mail groups, they don't work. Also the ART repository insists on replacing qMail with Postfix when you run 'Yum Update'. This needs to be looked at. I had a server re-imaged with CentOS 5.3 64-bit with Plesk 9.2.2, I then restored all backed up client files and none of the mail groups worked. I submitted a trouble ticket to 1and1 (I lease my webservers from them) because they said that they would submit it to Plesk. 24 hours later I got a response that said that it was a 'known bug' and that I would have to wait for the 'fix'. Now obviously I can't tell my clients that they will just have to wait for forwards and mail groups to work so I changed the MTA back to qMail. But much to my surprise I ran a 'yum update', I wasn't paying close attention, and the ART repository switched my MTA back to Postfix.
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

Thats a setting in the plesk.repo, you'll see it excluding the qmail "driver". Theres a bug/feature (beatureg?) in the way those driver packages are put together, they always treat the other one as an upgrade over the former.