psa-spamassassin vs art's spamassassin

Forum for getting help with Project Gamera, Spamassassin, Clamav, qmail-scanner and other anti-spam tools.
danami
Forum User
Forum User

psa-spamassassin vs art's spamassassin

Unread post by danami »

I am just setting up a new mail server and have installed arts repos and I did:

yum install spamassassin clamav qmail-scanner
qmail-scanner-reconfigure
yum install dcc pyzor razor-agents
pyzor discover

So now I see that I have both psa-spamassassin and arts spamassassin installed.

Should I use the psa-spamassassin or arts spamassassin? Does qmail-scanner work with both ? What are the differences? Will it break plesk8.1 if I remove psa-spamassassin?
scott
Atomicorp Staff - Site Admin

Unread post by scott »

psa-spamassassin is poorly named. Its not actually spamassassin, its just the plesk gui for spamassassin. The spamassassin rpm in my archive is an update to the standard spamassassin package, with added SPF support.

I don't recommend running both psa-spamassassin and qmail-scanner on a system at the same time. The result would be that spamassassin would be run multiple times on each message. So I've got qmail-scanner set up to not install on a PSA box if psa-spamassassin is already installed.
danami
Forum User
Forum User

Unread post by danami »

ok , thanks ! That clears things up a lot ! Once more question though. So will the clamav virus scanner work without qmail-scanner?

Also if I remove psa-spamassassin does that mean my users will not have per user spam control (I have the plesk SpamAssassin Anti-Spam addon from plesk)?

Basically I want the best spam / antivirus protection on my plesk 8.1 box without breaking plesk. What's the best way?
scott

Unread post by scott »

What you want to do is install qmail-scanner, and then configure it to just call clamav. There are a bunch of threads in the forums about it already.